Mixet shower faucet question...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Beemerguy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Beemerguy

Beemerguy New Member

Hi, folks.

I'll thank you in advance for your patience with me. I'm not a professional plumber, just a homeowner DIYer, so pardon me if what I ask is simple or if I use some incorrect terminology or nomenclature.

I live in a 20 year old condo building that has Mixet shower faucets. Since moving here three years ago I've noted low water pressure in the master bathroom shower, but didn't really check to see if there was anything I could do about it.

I'm re-caulking the master bathtub and have removed the chrome escutcheon over the faucet. Looking at the body of the faucet, there are what appear to be two threaded adjusters, one on either side of the main valve. (On exploded diagrams of Mixet faucets I've found on the web, they are shown as Part # MCSVS)

Assuming that they are adjusters, what exactly do they adjust? Temperature? Pressure?

If they adjust pressure, would it be safe to turn them now after two decades of not moving?

If they adjust pressure, how should I do so? Do I need to turn off the main water supply to my condo first?

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated...thanks!
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

They are stops,to turn the water off to make a repair on the faucet.
  3. Beemerguy

Beemerguy New Member

I see. So if I turn them counterclockwise as far as they will go, that ensures maximum water flow through the faucet?
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It probably means they will start leaking after not having been touched for years...
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Be careful messing with anything on a Mixet valve, as parts like those stops may no longer be available.
  6. Beemerguy

Beemerguy New Member

Thanks for the advice, folks. I truly appreciate it. :)