Metal Sheets on Studs

Users who are viewing this thread

MAD King

Reaction score
Hello,

I am remodelling my bathromm and found some metalsheets sticking on the studs.
I am wondering what is this for since it doesn't hold anything together. They are just placed on the studs.

Thank you

Attachments

• Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 387

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Those are protector plates. They are required when plumbing/electrical is within ~1 1/4" from the face of the stud. It is to keep the drywall guys from sticking a screw through your piping/wiring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They work great, unless the carpenter get frustrated when his screws or nails keep hitting it, then he starts angling the screws trying to go over or under it, and when he is successful, THEN he puts a hole, or holes, in the water line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I did a job for a contractor friend. After it was finished, about 3 hours later, water started coming out under the door. When I found the nail his guys had managed to put through the copper line, I also found about 20 holes where they had tried to go through the plate until they were able to angle down under it.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The more foolproof you make something, the more creative the fools become, eh? :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks