Low voltage mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

amarlls

Reaction score

Thermostat low voltage issue​

Hello please be gentle. I am sure this is a DIY/rookie mistake. So I am replacing some drywall and I planned to move my Nest thermostat to the next stud over for better access. I unhooked the 5 low voltage wires and pulled them out of that stud bay and moved to the next. I hooked it back up and now the Nest is saying that the red(power) wire does not have power so the nest will not work. What happened or what should I have done? I think maybe a mistake I made is I did not tape the open wires when I pulled them through the stud holes. Did I or was I not supposed to arc those wires together. I thought with low voltage it would not be aproblem? SHould I have turned off the power before I did this? It kicked an error on the nest that said (e74 Rc no power)

Fitter30

Reaction score
Need to look into the furnace or air handler for the transformer. Some are protected by a fuse on the control board, some might have a circuit breaker mounted right on it and some have a solder in fuse under the paper of the transformer made to just replace the transformer. Hopefully when the R to C probably touched and shorted out it didn't kill the board. Take a pic of the wiring diagram usually on the inside of blower door.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
many modern control boards have a little (usually purple) automotive fuse on board that can be pulled, tested for continuity (and visibly shows burnt).
1708540765762.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks