Measuring well depth

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr. Cricket

Reaction score
I am trying to determine the depth of my well. It is a 4" well that is currently being driven by a jet pump (1.5 " line up, 1" line down). I have sent down various weights and they all stop around 40 feet. I would assume this is a 40' well, but the weights and line all come up dry. This is a functioning well and has plenty of water so I assume I'm hitting some kind of obstruction. What am I hitting and is there a better way to measure the depth?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know how much access you have to the hole, or if you are going through a small hole in the well cap. I have seen the suggesting of reflecting the sunlight down the hole with a mirror, and see if you can see the water level.

You might be hitting the injector with your weight. The foot valve might be 10 ft below that... give or take.

converible-jet-deep.jpg

TVL

Reaction score
I have sent down various weights and they all stop around 40 feet.
?

Not sure what type weight you are referring to or what size, but you first might want to try a drill bit or something that shape and size. That should easily go past whatever may be stopping the other weights. If this doesn't work, there are other alternatives.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A jet assembly is a pretty close fit into 4" casing. If you keep trying different weights, you're bound to get something hung up and possibly stick the jet and lines in the well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums.

Sounds like it is hitting the injector, and the foot valve is a ways below it.

You would need to pull it out and take a Look See. Or use the old school drop a rock method.

Good Luck on your project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks