Mastercool evaporative cooler problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Lavin

Reaction score
I seem to have lost one of the two motor speeds on my Mastercool HC cooler. It's the one with 12" cooling pads, roof mounted with a thermostat. I switched leads on the motor and the "high" speed worked (it had been the one that was failing to operate). There is voltage from the thermostat on both high and low motor settings, so I presume the problem is in the switching module in the dry side of the cooler.

I wonder whether there is something about programming that I should know that might affect this; whether there is a source for parts for the cooler (in the event I need to replace the module - AdobeAir has not responded to my calls or emails); or whether anyone has a "bone yard" of miscellaneous used parts that might include one of these modules; or whether my diagnosis is faulty and anyone has other ideas....

Thanks,
Greg Lavin

Valtar

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

The voltage you measured in the thermostat is with the motor connected? It maybe switching using solid state devices, if you disconnect the motor it's likely you'll see 120V but when the load is connected the voltage will drop.

I don't know the model you have (12" pad and thermostat) but I'm almost sure that the thermostat module switches the water pump and the low and high speed of the motor. So my suggestions is that you change the thermostat, in El Paso Home depot they sell thermostat for this type of coolers (aprox $ 35).

Good luck...Valentin

Greg Lavin

Reaction score
Mastercool thermostat/switching issue

Thanks, Valentin for the post and the information,

The M/Cool units have a wall thermostat and a solid state switching device that I find are marketed together. I was surprised to find that Lowe's has the newer, generic model thermo/switch set general stock here for $95 - well below what I have been able to find online. So, I'm now going to just replace the electronics I have, rather than continue with my sometimes feeble diagnostics!

GL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks