Mansfield toilet overflows

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by noel marais, Nov 22, 2010.

1. noel marais

noel marais New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Washington DC
    I have two new Mansfield toilets; one works fine, the other periodically overflows because the trip lever gets stuck and doesn't drop down. It seems like a simple problem but how do I fix it?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Sometimes a new lever helps, if the one you have is sticking.
    Overflowing the bowl? That would mean the bowl is plugged.
    Using a plunger or closet auger can help with that, though the builder grade Mansfield Alto model is not one I recommend. We remove and dispose of those all the time.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    A toilet has an opening to the drain, so anything added to it should just go down the drain if it is liquid. A solid might temporarily block it until you had the full force of the tank releasing during a flush, but just a water leak into the bowl would just flow out. So, either the toilet trap or the drain line has to be plugged if it is overflowing.