Mansfield 1.6 flush problem

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by crunchboy, Nov 30, 2006.

1. crunchboy

crunchboy New Member

I've recently moved into an 8 year old home that is equipped with mansfield 1.6 flush toilets. The problem we keep having is that often times they do not flush completely or get stopped up and we have to use a plunger. Do I have to replace these toilets or is there something I can do to generate a stronger flush pressure?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can replace them. They are most likely cheap builder grade toilets, you get what you pay for.

My daughter had them in her new home, long story.

The weekend she move in I offered to take them to the dump and replace them with Toto toilets.
    She was a bit bugged with me, after all, it was a new home with new plumbing.

They plugged up all three Mansfield toilets the first weekend. When I would go over there, there was a plunger by every toilet.
    Two Christmass ago, she asked if I would still replace the darn things.
    I did, and she hasn't needed the plungers since.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Hasn't there been a law, rule, or some regulation made to limit the amount of water it takes to flush a toilet? Seems that I read something on this concerning water conservation or something of that sort.....
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In the USA, a toilet can't use more than 1.6 US gallons/flush. It doesn't say how well the toilet has to work, though. When the change was implemented, many manufacturers didn't do the engineering to make it work well, and this is still true today. You need to be careful and do some research to find models and brands that work. Even within a brand, there are better and poorer versions, you can't just go by a brand name, even if it once was good.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That law applied to all toilets manufactured after ( approx) 1992.
  6. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Yeppers... that's what I thought.. it was in my code book and I haven't read that thing since I took my master's exam.