low water pressure supply

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by ultraman99, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ultraman99

ultraman99 New Member

recently i had to raise the solenoid valves for my backyard due to drainage issues in the box. after i raised the valve set, i tested the sprinkler system. water was flowing out of the all sprinkler heads, but not enough water pressure to make them pop up. i looked around for spots in the yard for pooling, but no luck. my front yard and back yard share the main line and the front yard sprinkler system has no problems (front and back yard are 2 separate systems, just sharing the main water supply line).

i diverted the water supply to the solenoids to take a look at the water flow out of the line, and didn't seem like enough water was coming out, lacking volume/pressure.

i'm at a loss...what should i check for next?

thanks in advance!
  2. Schulze

Schulze New Member

Water was flowing out of all the heads...at the same time?
  3. ultraman99

ultraman99 New Member

no, all the sprinker heads for each zone. i checked if all the sprinker heads were running at the same time to see if the controller was bad.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Sprinkler valves are waterproof, so why the changes? Was this trip really necessary?
  5. ultraman99

ultraman99 New Member

the water level was getting too close to all the wiring, so i decided to raise the solenoid valves as a precaution.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Wires are waterproof, and there are waterproof wire connectors. Had you used them first, you'd have done all that was needed. You might as well take it all apart and test each valve, then rebuild it correctly.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You say you "diverted the water supply for the solenoids" and it was low. If this means you checked the water pipe before it got to all the valves, and it was low pressure/volume, then we have eliminated the valves as the problem. You need to look back. Is there another valve, manual or electric, which controls supply to the sprinkler system?? Do the sprinklers take their supply from the house side of a regulator valves? if so , some pressure gauge readings with flow/without flow will be instructive.
  8. ultraman99

ultraman99 New Member

yes i checked the water before the piping. there's only one valve before the solenoids, it's a manual ball valve. that ball valve supplies water to both the front yard and backyard sprinklers. the front yard has no issues.
  9. ultraman99

ultraman99 New Member

i found the issue. there was some blockage in the water supply line at the T going to sprinkler supply. thanks for reading my post.