low pressure,need help

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by howardken, Jul 9, 2008.

1. howardken

howardken New Member

have 60 lbs of pressure,working 6 heads,can i install 1/2hp motor in line with only 45psi,will this boost my pressue any?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A ½ HP jet pump can add about 40 PSI to 12 GPM flow. So yes it could help. Are you boosting city water?
  3. howardken

howardken New Member

yes i'm using city water.you say @60psi a1/2hp pump will boost my pressure up more on a 3/4 inch line.
  4. valveman

As long as you are not using more than 12 GPM, the 1/2 HP pump will add 40 PSI to the city pressure. If the city pressure is 20, you will be getting 60 PSI.
  5. howardken

howardken New Member

thank you.i have 60lbs now ,will it bring me up to 70psi?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

You'd be better off trying to rework the sprinklers, like trying smaller nozzles in them, which can make them spray further. A better match as a booster would be a 1/3 horsepower jet pump, but they can be hard to find.
  7. valveman

A 1/2 HP will add 40 PSI to whatever is coming in. 60 coming in, 100 going out, unless you regulate it with something, like a Cycle Stop Valve.