Low pressure and no water in pressure tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

OldTSR

Reaction score
I'm a brand new home owner and really know nothing about plumbing, all i know is that i have very little pressure. I was told to check the air pressure in the tank so i did and the tank has about 36 pounds in it. I just want to boost my pressure enough to be able to run a simple sprinkler or more than one appliance at once. Any advice? If i rembember right the well was rated at eight gpm, which i understand to be decent.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't measure the air pressure while you have any water pressure.

Look at your pressure gauge. What does it say? How were you determining you "have very little pressure"?

OldTSR

Reaction score
I determined very little pressure by the amount of water that comes out of the spicket when i turn it on. So how do i measure the air pressure then?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What does the pressure gauge on your tank say? The problem could be in the "spicket". I am guessing since you measured 36 PSI, that you have a 20/40 pressure switch. 40/60 is more common these days, so you might need to increase the setting of the pressure switch.

No matter what is causing the low pressure, it is your water system. You can have stronger pressure than any city supply, you just have to make it happen.

Reach4

Reaction score
So how do i measure the air pressure then?
Turn off the power to the pump. Open a faucet and wait until the flow stops. Measure the air pressure. Add air if needed.

Close the faucet and turn the pump back on.

Wondering

Reaction score
If you need to add air to the tank, it varies depending on your pressure setting.
20-40 pressure switch setting needs 18 lbs. air
30-50 pressure switch setting needs 28 lbs. air
40-60 pressure switch setting needs 38 lbs. air

If you need to add air, drain tank completely and add air to proper setting. If you need to raise your pressure, look under the pressure switch cover and there will be a short and tall spring with an adjusting nut on it. Turn the TALL one-this will raise your start and stop pressure. Turn it a few turns and then cycle the pump till you get to the setting you desire. All of this info is here on the site, above the posts.

Hope this helps.

Some of your problem may be with your faucets. If they have the water saver in the aerator you can take that out and help, that is if it is removable.

OldTSR

Reaction score
After turning off the pump and draining the system, the pressure tank reads at 40 psi. using a tire gauge to check it. the gauge that is between the pump and the tank also reads at 40 psi. Should the two match pressure or should one be higher than the other?

OldTSR

Reaction score
So if i understand right, the tank should be at 18, 28, or 38 lbs depending on the pressure switch setting?

Reach4

Reaction score
After turning off the pump and draining the system, the pressure tank reads at 40 psi. using a tire gauge to check it. the gauge that is between the pump and the tank also reads at 40 psi. Should the two match pressure or should one be higher than the other?

The gauge on the tank should read zero at that point; you drained the system.

OldTSR

Reaction score
I believe so, i turned off the pump and then opened a faucet in the house and let it run until no more water came out.

Wondering

Reaction score
Do you know what your pressure switch off/on is set at? You probably need a new gauge. Then adjust air accordingly and maybe you will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks