Lots of iron. Best whole house and best pitcher filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim427

Reaction score
My house is in central NY (finger lakes area) and I have a lot of iron.

What's the best whole house filter? Something I can change myself.

Is there a filter in a pitcher that can filter out iron? For the next couple of months money will be tight and thats the reason why I ask.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Best whole house iron reduction system... typically a KL based unit is considered the best but we really need to see a water report. As to the water pitcher... buy bottled water until you get a good water report, water filter pitchers are pretty much junk.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ditttohead was not referring to a kit but was meaning a comprehensive lab test such as :
http://www.ntllabs.com/Merchant2/me...NTL&Product_Code=9003&Category_Code=Homeowner

As you are responsible for your well water's safety and treatment, having the water tested periodically is a necessity. An immediate test will establish the amount of iron contained in addition to other conditions, which will assist to determine the appropriate treatment method.

Ditttohead in referring to KL, means Katalox Light iron reduction media which will be a backwashing filter system, similar in size to a water softener.

Mike Pawlowski

Reaction score
Ditttohead was not referring to a kit but was meaning a comprehensive lab test such as :
http://www.ntllabs.com/Merchant2/me...NTL&Product_Code=9003&Category_Code=Homeowner

As you are responsible for your well water's safety and treatment, having the water tested periodically is a necessity. An immediate test will establish the amount of iron contained in addition to other conditions, which will assist to determine the appropriate treatment method.

Ditttohead in referring to KL, means Katalox Light iron reduction media which will be a backwashing filter system, similar in size to a water softener.

Hi, I am in a similar situation with high iron content from a well for a house on a Lake Ontario Bay. The well water is used exclusively a geo-thermal system for both heating & cooling. I had the water tested by a commercial lab, with a very high iron content: S+ 29.4 mg/L via testing method EP 200.7 Looking for a system to handle most of the iron removal & suggestions on options. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, I am in a similar situation with high iron content from a well for a house on a Lake Ontario Bay. The well water is used exclusively a geo-thermal system for both heating & cooling.
Some aspects are similar. :eek: But maybe 200 gallons per day vs 10000 gallons per day is very different.

Tim427

Reaction score
Picked up a test kit from a big box store. I got a call from them today. They said something was wrong with the kit. I called them back and they said the cap cracked. I said I'll get another kit. His reply was to push me to a in house visit......as this point I'm thinking traveling salesman trying to get me to purchase an expensive unit. I told them "Goodbye"

I found place out of North Syracuse that will do the testing. They will charge $25 for the service which I consider reasonable. I'll drop by their place tomorrow with a sample. I'll update you guys soonish. They said about a week to 10 days turn around time.

Reach4

Reaction score
I found place out of North Syracuse that will do the testing. They will charge $25 for the service which I consider reasonable. I'll drop by their place tomorrow with a sample.
Do they give numbers on iron, manganese, hardness, pH? There are other things to test, but those are the most common things to treat for.

Tim427

Reaction score
Do they give numbers on iron, manganese, hardness, pH? There are other things to test, but those are the most common things to treat for.
I dropped off 3 sixteen ozs of water. They can test for anything I want. I wrote down iron on the paperwork to test for. The secretary told me to call the lab tech Monday morning since he/she will probably be familiar with what's in the area well water. I'll tell her to test for manganese, hardness and pH as well.

This is suppose to be a good lab. I called another place a bit further away from where I live and they said they send their samples to the place where I dropped mine off at.

I'll call them Monday morning after work and talk to the tech. .. then it's a wait and see deal.

Tim427

Reaction score
20170318_175459.jpg
Still waiting on results but in the mean time I installed a sediment filter. I hope this

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You should strongly consider a whole house iron reduction system and a softener. More test results would be very helpful. pH, other contaminants etc.

Tim427

Reaction score
The iron level (from what I've read online) is about 4 times the acceptable level for iron.

The Calcium level is extremely high.

My location is Cross Lake in Jordan NY if this helps anyone in the future.

Off to research iron reducers and water softeners.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Calcium level is extremely high.
Was that a calcium, or was it a calcium equivalent hardness number. That is the number that you use for softener shopping.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have more iron than is good for removing with a softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks