Looking for advice on best material for shower P trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Sluggo, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Sluggo

Sluggo New Member

I'm putting in a shower located on a slab. The slab was plumbed for this when the house was built, and I have a 12" X 18" hole in the slab which has a capped off ABS drain pipe to connect the P trap to (and a properly plumbed vent coming up through the slab right next to this drain pipe). My shower drain assembly is 2" PVC, so I will have to make a transition from PVC to ABS somewhere. Once the P trap is installed and the drain assembly is connected to it, I plan to fill the hole partially with sand to cover the drain pipe and most of the P trap, give the drain assembly a foam wrap, and pour 4-5 inches of concrete to bring the hole flush with the slab. For the PVC to ABS transition, is either if these options better: 1) install a PVC P trap and have the transition occur between the tail end of the PVC P trap and the existing ABS drain, or 2) install an ABS P trap and make the transition between the bottom of the PVC shower drain assembly and the front end of the ABS P trap?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It hardly matters where you use the transistion coupling. I would do it on the vertical. I use a banded coupling made for plastic pipe. I don't use glue.
  3. Sluggo

Sluggo New Member

Terry-
    1. Banded coupling rather than glue joint even though it will be inaccessible after I'm done installing the trap and re-pouring the slab?

2. Any preference for ABS vs. PVC in terms of resistance to cracking, etc.?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I use banded couplings all the time. They are always inaccessible. I have not found a glue yet that works on ABS to PVC
    I carry ABS fittings in Seattle, so that's what I use. PVC would be fine too.