Looking for a highly recommended wall mounted toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Ya gotta go look at the PDFs. Access is easy and no-one in the world has ever said they couldn't get access.

In more concrete terms, to get access, you remove the wall's flush actuator plate (which a four year old can do), you unscrew two Robertson-head screws from plastic (not hard and can be done with the tip of a steak knife), and then the plastic plate comes off, leaving an opening about the size of the flush actuator plate, that was about 6"x12" until about 2005 and 6"x9" for this year's model plate. You now have all the room you need to both see what you are doing with the moving parts and to get your fingers in there. The parts are right up front and top, so you'd do fine if your arms were only 6" long and fingers 2" long. AFAIC, you never need to stick your entire hand in to touch anything. The opening is far far larger than necessary. I hope this answers your main concern, about accessibility. The second question may then be how often parts need attention. AFAIK, there are no issues with Geberit stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if someone wanted to "take the training course" (that is sarcasm) or barring that, practice removing the plate to see all the stuff, put it back on, and remove it all over again, just to see the stuff again.

David
eidt: I just went and looked, and i realized that if your wall is thicker than average you will need fingers longer than 2". Anyone who services dungeons and castles needs real full-length fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
reanime said:
Does anyone have any experience with Caroma's Wall Hung Toilets? ...
Call Jon Eakes, and his assistant will probably be willing to flush his Caroma wall mount for you over the phone. You may have to offer to buy something from them too, to get them interested in a toilet flush noise comparison test, which is ultimately going to produce subjective results.

I wonder if we could start posting sound files here, as attachments. Like .wav or the audio component of mobile phone videos.

David

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
californian3445 said:
... didn't meet code but couldn't tell me why....
how to meet code.

it just occurred to me, that some people might need to have it pointed out to them, and that that might be why they say it isn't code -- because they didn't see what others saw, and no-one ever pointed it out to them!

to meet code, you need venting before the waste drain pipe goes south.

maybe Geberit and the other wall hung toilet carrier manufacturers need to draw that on their PDFs or on their marketing. All the various ways to vent after the waste comes out the back of the bowl.

Specifically, when you look at the bent tube, and you picture it going south, down through the floor, you then say uh-oh that's not code. True enough. Ya gotta plan that vent, and vent that plan.

More discussion available on request. If anyone asks.

david

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
There is no real difference with function or serviceability of the two.
Grohe has a good name in the market but alot of people or more familiar with Geberit.
I would pick Geberit only for the style and choice of push button actuators.
Their standard is the dual flush and Grohedal is a single flush (Dual flush is avaialble but at more money).
The Grohedal has a "Surf" design and to me looks cheap.
I haven't seen the Missal so i can't comment on that.

JojoSF

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this old post...

I'm doing a bathroom remodel with space constraints. The wall-mount toilet looks like a good solution. There are few questions I have (not being a plumber!) I'm leaning toward a Duravit (Happy D).

1. Is it very noisy? This toilet is near my bedroom. Should I do any pipe/installation sound proofing?

2. If it does get plugged, how do I turn off the water?

3. My dad keeps telling me 'Get a Toto Drake'... Do you REALLY think the Duravit performs well enough??

Thanks for any and all comments!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The wall hung carrier should break your buget!

You're dad is a smart man... You should listen to him!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
.... This toilet is near my bedroom. ... how do I turn off the water? ...
how much noise can you sleep through? Any toilet makes noise when flushed. How many other people will flluch it ? ARe there other toilets in the house? This is more important than "choosing" between good options.

How tight is your space?

Turning off the water supply is a piece of cake, and it is a function of the wall carrier - which is a Geberit product -- and not the porcelain bowl which could be a Toto or a Duravit.

david

JojoSF

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

I had read a post that talked about a insulating wrap being important for the wall carrier, as the flushing causes the noise to be transmitted through the studs (like a drum?) I also have had friends complain about their new 'power flush' toilet that (they say) sounds like a jet engine! I'm assuming that the Geberit tank sounds like a 'normal' toilet in terms of the water in the toilet bowl, but should I do some sort of sound proofing in the wall?

About access to the water supply, it sounds like the sort of procedure that you can do for service, but not practical for the over-flowing toilet! What do you think?

Thanks again! It seems like a big decision, because you can't easily switch it for a conventional toilet.

Ralleia

Reaction score
Caroma Walvit experience

We've had a Caroma Walvit installed for almost two years now. I'm still pleased as punch with it. We have another one still boxed up in the basement with all the Swanstone and the new Moen valves waiting for our remodeling people and for us to have an open schedule at the same time to renovate the second bathroom.

We got all the parts--the carrier bracket, wall-hung bowl, tank, panel kit, thread fixing kit, uniconnector, and toilet seat for $717.37 per toilet. Freight was $190 total for two toilets.

Installation was a bit tricky, because the closest thing to instructions is specification drawings with some notes on them. Our remodelers were able to figure it out expediently though, after they and the Caroma rep convinced me that the carrier bracket could *NOT* install in a standard 4" stud wall. The tank, yes, but not the bracket.

For flush noise, the bowl noise is about the as our regular Eljer toilet, though much quicker, especially if I use the 0.8 gallon flush. The sound of the tank filling is very muffled with the Walvit, since it is inside the wall.

The Walvit does not keep the bowl as clean the regular toilet, probably partially because it uses so little water.

We've had to replace one part $2 part in the first six months--a rubber gasket or something that came loose and was allowing water to drain slowly from the tank into the bowl. It may have been a fluke, since neither the new one or the original piece on the other side has had the problem.

As far as flushing power, this toilet has thus far proven unstoppable. We love that 4" trapway!

PapaDisco

Reaction score
Caroma vs. Gerbervit Wallhung

We've had a Caroma Walvit walhung in use for 2 years now and it is the best darn toilet ever. Quiet flush and silent refill. Tank in the wall is really cool and the wallhung installation makes cleaning a snap.

When trying to decide between the Caroma and the Gebervit I'd been counseled that the Gerbervit was still a high volume design being forced to operate on a much smaller 1.6 GPF diet. Both toilets are downwash flush designs, versus siphon action, and so the 4" trapway in the Caroma won out over the 3" trapway in the Gerbervit. I made the assumption that a siphon action flush might do O.K. with the smaller trapway (in fact may need it to be smaller), but when using the downwash (where your flushing water is dumped en masse into the bowl) design you wanted the biggest darn pipe you could get. So far, so good. We've never used a plunger once in two years.

That said, I think the criticisms of the Gerbervit were overstated. I have a favorite hotel I stay at and it only has residential Gerbervit wallmounts (the identical toilet I was looking at) with the in wall tank (no pressure flush). That toilet has always worked just as well as my Caroma at home. So if I had it to do over again, I might very well pick the Gerbervit and one of it's groovy looking bowls.

As to installation, it's not hard but very few people have installed one of these so it pays to go slow and make certain you have all your wall thickness dimensions right. You know your tile guy is going to add a little extra mud, and the wallboard guys too. I'd counsel anyone installing a wall hung to not trim the plastic outlet fitting until the wall is done, otherwise you might end up short. Also, the steel mounting frame is great, but it costs equal to the toilet itself (essentially doubling your cost) so if you're a very solid framing carpenter you can do without the steel frame and save yourself $375 or so. For me, I'd always get the frame because it's so solid, bolted straight to the floor and in between studs. Awesome mount.

Also, the wall hung toilet will not mount above a 4" baseboard without being too high. So you'll have to notch your tile baseboard and inch or two. I think the Gerbervit bowls are a little shallower (at least the look it to my eye) and so they may not suffer from this.

Lastly, next time I'd get creative with my in wall tank location. I installed the Caroma thinking of a typical toilet installation: put the tank in the wall behind the toilet. In fact the tank can be mounted anywhere; put it in the next county if you like. All it has to be is at an elevation higher than the toilet. The higher you put it the more powerful the flush to the point where it actually comes with restrictor washers that you can install in order to slow the water down. If I had the option, I'd put the tank in an attic or other utility space where I could get to it easily, but where it would be a silent partner in flushing. :D

So, show off your plumbing skills and get a wall hung for your next toilet. If you live in a household that uses the plunger a lot, then maybe lean toward the Caroma with the 4" diameter trapway. If not, then get the Gerbervit or the Caroma as your sense of style (and pocketbook!) dictate.

Jelly

Reaction score
I'm looking at what to spec in regards to a wall hung unit in my new house. Will probably go with Duravit/Geberit.

But a tempting wall hung option is on offer from Cheviot for a little bit less. This is a Canadian company which actually just imports, but the toilet and concealed tank are made by a Turkish company called VitrA. Same flush volume, but it looks like the water level in the bowl may be a bit higher than the Duravit models, which would make it easier to keep clean (the toilet brush wouldn't be needed as often).

Anyone have experience with the Cheviot/VitrA wall-hung model?

Johnzane

Reaction score
Mostly happy with my Stark 3 wall hung toilet.

Duravit is really making inroads among the designers here in San Francisco, you see more and more high-end showrooms with the complete line of products. They are expensive, no doubt, but there's nothing to compare to the brand's cool factor.

It took 3 successive plumbers to figure our how to install my Stark 3 wall hung model (220009), and I still had to tinker with it to get it to flush correctly. If yours does not flush completely (the water should practically shoot from the front of the bowl, and down the throat), the white plastic sleeve is being prevented from floating up by the red plastic mount, and you might have to shave off the angle-cut flange at the bottom to fix it. Once done, the flushing action is truly a work of art, quick, low water usage, and effective.

I highly suggest hiring a plumber who can PROVE they've hung one before. The directions are all pictures, no english, and not user friendly. I'm still trying to figure out how to increase the water surface. Anyone have suggestions?

BTW, these are often sold without the seats or the carriers. The Geberit is recommended, but make sure the lower end of the carriage frame is firmly against the inside of your wall surface. If not, use plywood or shims to fill in the gap. I failed to do this, and broke my perfect drywall job. The Geberit carrier and toilet allow for only two threaded carrier bolts, not four, as on the American Standard wall hungs (I don't know why the German's didn't follow suit), so the bottom of your toilet is going to rest heavily on your wall.

Also, there is no other seat/cover option for many of these duravit toilets, and they are horribly expensive, $130 for white plastic.

BTW, Toto just came out with a wall hung that looks like a dead ringer for the Stark 3, except there's a little hump protruding from the bottom, like the curve of a P-trap. If I could have waited, I would definitely have chosen a Toto over Duravit, especially if it employed standard seats and covers!

HoracioO

Reaction score
What Toto model is that?

BTW, Toto just came out with a wall hung that looks like a dead ringer for the Stark 3, except there's a little hump protruding from the bottom, like the curve of a P-trap. If I could have waited, I would definitely have chosen a Toto over Duravit, especially if it employed standard seats and covers!

What's the model? The only ones I could find are commercial and they really look institutional and don't have that contemporary Duravit look.

Cheers

Johnzane

Reaction score
New model toto wallhung?

I will check with the toto showroom for the model number of their wall hung toilet, and report later. It did not look like the American Standard most institutions have, though I would still recommend them. They have undeniably one of the largest water surface "spots" around. As an aside, I received a very thorough explanation of why some bowls have low water spots from the folks at Duravit, "Low surface water spots on wash down toilets means the height of the trap is set low, and nothing can be done to raise it." See photo:

Washdown.jpg

Johnzane

Reaction score
Here is the new toto CW762Y, I found it at the Toto website online. Looks expensive, but very similar to the Duravit. See photo:

TotoCW762Y.jpg

SaltyTX

Reaction score
FYI Geberit has posted an instructional video on youtube detailing the installation of the carrier and commode:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks