Looking for a highly recommended wall mounted toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Searchin

Reaction score
I'm putting on a bathroom addition to my home and looking for an excellent wall mount. I have limited space so I'm combining shower and toilet in same area. Thus it needs to be off the ground. I'm a big fan of the 2 floor mounted Toto toilet's I have, but they don't currently seem to carry a wall mount. I visually like Duravit's modern style, but low maintenance, reliability and flush will always win out over style. I also don't know much about Duravit's performance.

Your advise is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Duravit is a good name in Europe (made in Germany). They are just starting to make it in North America as there style is very european and sleek.
The in wall carrier used buy Duravit is actually made by to different people.
They have a Geberit carrier and a Grohedal carrier.
Grohe has a very good name as does Geberit, the only benefit is that Geberit has a better looking and a dual flush actuator.

geberit_in_wall_tank_02.jpg

geberit_in_wall_tank_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian3445

Reaction score
I am in the same situation, though I eventually had to give up on the Duravit, and finally decided on a wall-hung, rear spud commercial toilet with a concealed flushometer. This is for an architectural residence under construction; master bath is also the main public/guest bath.

Since design is almost always my first priority, I had decided on the Duravit Caro. However, every supplier I talked to strongly discouraged any Duravit wall-hung toilets. Most told me that they simply don't work, though one also said that they don't comply with local codes (Anchorage, AK). The theory seems to be that the bowls were not designed for 1.6 gallon flushing, though I have been unable to confirm this. I spoke to a homeowner with several Caro wall-hung toilets, and he reported that they need to be flushed repeatedly, if not plunged, and that the bowls is rarely left clean. As if all of this weren't discouraging enough, my plumber refused to install one. So much for Duravit. The Caroma Walvit was recommended, but I don't like the design, and it seems like it would cost about $2500, with all of the necessary components. I am curious about the Cheviot (www.cheviotproducts.com), which is very reasonably priced, but have not been able to find anyone who knows anything about it.

As for the flushometer models, at this point I am trying to decide between the Toto CT708V, and the Kohler Kingston (K-4329). If anyone knows anything about either of these toilets, I'd like to hear it. I'm also open to other brands, but haven't found any that I like so far. I'd be perfectly satisfied if I could get the Toto in black or grey, but their color selection is more limited for commercial models. Kohler does offer these colors, but I'm a little worried about performance, and I can't find out conclusively whether they make a closed-front seat with a lid that would fit correctly--even the open-front seat they show doesn't appear to match up with the rim.

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Not sure about not meeting code.
Duravit has been in business since 1817 and is huge in the Uk and European markets and they don't have the water pressure or drainage we have.
The wall hung in wall carrier toilets flush great we have a working unit and I personally sold approx 26 last year and 28 so far this year and have not had one complaint about anything.

Peanut9199

Reaction score
CT708V is only available in white, sedona beige or bone.
Although color is usually a longer delivery.
They have the SS114 soft close seat, closed front with cover for that toilet.
It says it fits that toilet, but have not seen it personally on the CT708V.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
brainwash?

californian3445 said:
.... eventually had to give up on the Duravit....
Weird situation you are in. Someone is brainwashing people. It may be a competitor manufacturer that doesn't want Duravit to get established in North America, conducting a dirty smear campaign behind the scenes. Often I have found myself responding to posts from people (who sign in here for the first time) to tell them that nothing is wrong with Duravit. I have often wondered why only Duravit was the subject from these brand new posters, and why strange problems that were not problems in terms of physical reality. Just perception or misinformation.

Now we have one more person saying nothing is wrong with Duravit. He is Peanut9199, and he knows more than I do.

These wall-hung toilets are not a big challenge, not a big deal. Any bowl, from any manufacturer, made for these carriers, will work. The carriers are often called "Euro Style" in the business, as far as I know. I have a bowl made by Catalano sitting on a Geberit carrier in a powder room, and guess what, the Catalano name is not even displayed anywhere on the Geberit web site page showing their inwall carrier and naming all the compatible bowls. (!!!). So I called the Chicago Faucet - Geberit tech support people and they said it would work, and that they would some day get around to updating their web site. These guys at Geberit really know a lot and they are quick too. I bought other products from them, and I called them several times. They don't sell direct, they just answer questions. I bought one more carrier and a new bowl, this time a Duravit. I love it.

Installation is numbskull simple. For any Euro Style bowl on a Geberit carrier. And on a Missal carrier too. And probably on a Grohedal carrier too. The same holes in the same places.

Back in 2005, I looked into Caroma and another wall hung toilet kit from a Turkish manufacturer. No problems to report.

David

p.s. I searched the web and saw that carriers cost less than ever now. A few hundred. I got both my bowls (Catalano and Duravit) for a price in that range too.

Peanut9199

Reaction score
My main seller is Toto probably 70% of my business, but we took on Duravit because of there styling and good name.
I have Toto in my house and love but still you have some people complain.
If i had the option to put in a Duravit wall mount toilet (6" wall depth) i would put in a minute. The idea of nothing under the bowl, so much easier to clean and no tank either.
I would bet money (and have) that wall mount toilets will increase in sales like it has in Europe and the UK.

Californian3445

Reaction score
Thank you both for the info. The suppliers I've been dealing with don't seem to know much about wall-hung products. I was especially bothered when they said it didn't meet code but couldn't tell me why.

I've gotten used to battling with contractors who resist the unconventional, but never had to deal with as much opposition as when I said the word Duravit. "Do not buy one of those!" was the immediate response from the supplier that my plumber recommended. Seemed like, for some reason, they really just didn't want to sell it. They didn't argue when I specified Toto for the rest of the toilets, though they were not a Toto dealer.

I was told that Duravit had recently been sold (to Geberit?), and that it had become difficult to get parts or support from the company. Any thoughts on this? I'd still consider using them in the future, but for this house we've already ordered a carrier for the flushometer toilet. Fortunately we have 1" supply lines in the master bath already.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
californian3445 said:
... "Do not buy one of those!" was the immediate response ....
As for the guys who claimed wall hung toilets weren't Code, that definitely adds weight to the thesis that people don't want to do things that aren't already done commonly by others around them.

I wonder if Duravit has a qualification procedure that makes stores that sell only one, end up with almost no revenue.

david

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Duravit has not been sold to Geberit.
Another falsehold and parts are easy to get, their main plant is in Georgia.
I'm in Canada and can get parts in two days.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Duravit and Geberit have formed a partnership to supply the N. American market with wall hung toilets. Geberit supplying the inwalls and Duravit supplying the bowls. Geberit, which has marketed the Tessera in wall wc in the US for a number of years is discontinuing this model. I've used it on a number of project and except for the learning curve on adjustment , and a recall on the fill valve, it's been a reliable product. I assume Geberit, not being primarily a porcelain producer, decided to focus on areas they are more comfortable with, like their in wall tank.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
not true

strictly speaking, it is true that Duravit announced a "partnerhip" this spring, and that it has had the Geberit parts numbers in its catalogs for years already.

But when you buy a wall hung bowl from another company, guess what happen? O surprise, you find out that the Geberit carrier is now available for that bowl also. Geberit carriers can carry many bowls from many manufacturers. This state of affairs has been this way for a long time. Search on "neo metro" for an example.

Duravit has always had a leg up on other manufacturers, in terms of their integration with Geberit for dealer service and marketing: have you ever noticed that most showrooms have Duravit bowls and Geberit carriers?.

Now Duravit has won the right to declare itself a partner. Whoopee.

About the Tessera: Geberit made sure to make its own carrier look the same but not be the same, as the carrier available to the outside market. The supply and drain holes are in different places, and the drain pipe is twisted and patented. No big loss.

Summary: the in-wall carrier for wall hung toilets of any make compatible with the Euro style are available from Geberit as a single purchase, or from Duravit in combination with one of their bowls. Nothing to write home about.

David

reanime

Reaction score
Duravit Starck series

Assuming Duravit is exercising quality control over their Phillipe Starck wall mount toilet bowl series 1,2,3, and X, with similar trap design, etc, my concern is flushing performance in this brand which their website seems to confuse with the amount of water saved. Does anyone have any flush experience with any of the Starck models, and if so roughly how many times a year is the plunger required. They're stylish, with a high cool factor, but nothing peeves me more than a poor performer. Some of the most beautiful design toilets cough and sputter during the flush regurgitating half their waste. I've got 3 Toto's and was blown away by their performance, only once requiring a plunger in the last 3 years I've owned them. And if noone owns a Starck model, can any of you Duravit owners give me a rough idea on the flushing performance of Duravit assuming your plumbing is up to par. that is, is it a '2-flusher' requiring two flushes to eliminate any trace of waste and have you used the plunger more than twice a year. Seriously considering the Duravit to satisfy the clients desire for a contemporary euro-design bathroom project, but don't want to lose credibility when the client complains of it being a pretty yet poor performer. Thanks for any feedback.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have a Duravit. I like it. i have never had a clog or any problem.

if i understand your question well, i must then add this: the layout of the 3" drain pipe and the venting pipe after the toilet is connected to the wall (or floor, in a floor mount) is crucial to the performance, and cannot be brushed off with a simple remark like "assuming your plumbing is up to par". Too much ignorance; needs correction.

Your quest for knowledge and testimonials is good.
"my concern is flushing performance" - good !
"have any flush experience with" - good!

FWIW, all manufacturers "confuse with the amount of water saved" because they are not forced by consumers or by law into revealing anything about flushing performance, which if truth be told depends largely on the layout of the pipes and venting, things that are downstream of the toilet.

David

reanime

Reaction score
Thanks Teach! The real question here, though, is how's my syntax? Please spare me the creative writing critique, I'm on a mission here to find some answers about this toilet....or, YES...a quest for testimonials, not rhetoric. What I really wanted to know was a more descriptive analysis of the Starck or any Duravit in terms of perhaps noise, efficiency, and if it leaves any trace residual waste behind. Nevertheless, thanks for the "no clogs" and importance of venting, -good, good...that's a start. But the statement, "never had a clog or any problem" is vague and leaves the reader hanging....what do you mean by "any problem"...Too much ignorance; needs correction.......in other words, "just the facts, mam" :cool:

Last edited:

reanime

Reaction score
Caroma Wall Hung Toilets

Does anyone have any experience with Caroma's Wall Hung Toilets? Any info at all? ....addendum: here's a great video/demo of the Caroma in action, but doesn't feature their wall hung units. Seems though that the company is quality controlled and the same efficiency would carry over to their wall hung units. Go to: http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/...savingToilets/CaromaDualFlushToilet/index.cfm

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
good noise.

Problems?
There have been none. That is enough description. In other words, since i have no complaints and no problems, I shall decline invitations to decribe more what potential problems I could be discussing.

Flush: I like the noises it makes. The water flush is smooth. And fast. The noise it makes is smooth. No sharp edges. I doubt that anyone has any clear vocabulary to suggest we could use to describe noise, so I'll just say that it is smooth and fast, so it seems efficient. Repeat: since it is fast, I'll say YES it is efficient. Whatever that means, to the reader.

Maybe another installation would not make the same noise, installed on different drain pipes with different venting. I don't know. I do know that I would pay more attention to the drain layout and venting than an impossible-to-verify so-called quality control in the manufacturer. I think the bowl design is more important than individual inspection and quality control. They are all glazed in the trapway; they are all smooth. The shape of the bowl and its trap determines a lot. That is "design", not Q.C. In my opinion.

As to the subject of residual matter, I do not wish to discuss this in a public forum with a sarcastic newbie. If anyone posting here wishes to describe the kind of stains they leave on toilet bowls, I welcome their posts. Tell us what happens when your #2 is hard and solid, and when it's wet and drippy. There may be something interesting for all to learn. Please feel free to share your experience.

I think noise is a lot more manageable than any other topic. How an individual drops solids into the bowl, or whether their solids will stain the side of the bowl, is their problem to manage.

David :)
p.s. I think I remember seeing a Handbook of Spare Terminology sitting around somewhere, waiting to be put to use. There may be a chapter on noise and toilet flush noise in particular. I'll look for it in the next few weeks. I do remember seeing "laminar" and "turbulent" flow noises, but I don't feel comfortable with those terms here, when the reader wants something simple, and besides, he or she may not understand these words until he gets his hands on the Manual too. If I see a link to a URL, I'll post it.
-d

reanime

Reaction score
Sarcastic Newbie I am,
But when you're pumping $250K into an add-on bathroom and the architect needs the toilet dimensions yesterday, I need answers asap with no time for forum fun which I too indulge in. I was Toto bound till I took a recent survey bathrooms in the hotel/bar/restaurants of Europe and Mexico City where these toilets are the norm for space and conservation purposes, but at the same time have such a cool factor, that I was determined to find one of these for the states. Your persuasive posts (sans scat) are more informative than you know and have pretty much sealed the deal in my direction for wall mount/cistern style toilet. I guess my only remaining burning question to you is maintenance fears when essentially the cistern tank is sealed off from any service access short of cutting into that pristine venetian glass mosaic tile wall that it will sit behind. Better yet, where is the heart of the toilets mechanics and what on earth do you do if you have a flapper issue, or some other mechanical mishap involving the b/w the studs/in-wall cistern???...scuse my ignorance, but that's the first thing people will ask me along with the very common concern of meeting code requirements in Texas. Thanks, Reanime

Peanut9199

Reaction score
All the parts that need to be repaired i:e. Flapper, fill valve etc.. are accessible from behind the flush actuator. These parts are easy to remove and re-assemble.
I have a parts breakdown and installation instructions if you want them.
The files are to big to post here, if you need them you can e-mail me.
peter@kleininternational.ca

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks