Looking for a good hand pump backup for well head

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by stoneaxe, Nov 7, 2013.

1. stoneaxe

stoneaxe New Member

I plan to install a hand pump on top of the well cap as part of my well re-pump. I am looking at the "simple pump" brand- does anyone have suggestions, opinions, advice etc? We lose power a lot, sometimes for a long time-this would be a emergency backup in case the generator is out of fuel, or broken, etc. Apparently this pump can pump into a pressure tank.
    Thanks for your advice.!
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

For what you're gonna spend for the Simple Pump get yourself a Grundfos SQ Flex and 3 solar panels with the AC/DC box. When the power goes out the pump will run on solar and your arms will be much less tired. Plus you never need any fuel for generators. When the AC power is restored the pump will swap back to AC power.

3. stoneaxe

stoneaxe New Member

Sun around here is a rare thing in the winter- I want a completely redundant system also- don't want to rely on the electric pump totally.
  4. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Member

Simple, Bison, and Baker all make great hand pumps, but they are terribly expensive. I've found the "Handy Well Pump", from a company called Being Water....they are all PVC and very simple. I've put in 5 this summer, and all have worked really well.
  5. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  6. stoneaxe

stoneaxe New Member

About 20' lift, but I want to pump into the pressure tank- simple pump says their unit can do this.
  7. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

Good Luck with that.

Buy Food so that you will have the BTUs to do it.

It will work if you have power.

People are spoiled...
  8. stoneaxe

stoneaxe New Member

Do you have personal experience with the simple pump, or are your comments generic for all hand pumps?
  9. DonL

DonL Out of the Trades

I thought you was talking Pitcher Pump. Sorry.

A water storage tank and compressed air may be a better choice.

If you think you can hand pump into a pressured tank very long then more power to you.

Good Luck on your project.
  10. Being Water

Being Water Junior Member

To be up front, I am involved with Handy Well Pumps. They now have a steel version as well as a lever model that is really slick. www.handywellpump.com