Located PB w/ a Cable Tracer

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by theestimator1, Nov 21, 2008.

1. theestimator1

theestimator1 New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I’ve used a cable tracer to locate underground wiring about half a dozen times. This time I disconnected my polybutylene Yard Service, installed one 45ft long insulated #10 conductor and hooked up a battery powered cable tracer.

After tracing the wire, I was surprised to find that the signal bled into the water filled poly and I was able to continue tracing another 120ft, almost to the meter.

Tracing was no problem except one area where I got a strong signal in an oval area about 1ft square. Hopefully this is where I find our underground leak. It’s about 6ft away from some sunken ground and another 8ft away from a sinkhole.

Guess I’ll find out next week when we start digging.
    I bought my 19yr old son a brand new shovel.

Master Electrician
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Now we need an update

How well did the new shovel work?
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement