Located PB w/ a Cable Tracer

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by theestimator1, Nov 21, 2008.

1. theestimator1

theestimator1 New Member

I’ve used a cable tracer to locate underground wiring about half a dozen times. This time I disconnected my polybutylene Yard Service, installed one 45ft long insulated #10 conductor and hooked up a battery powered cable tracer.

After tracing the wire, I was surprised to find that the signal bled into the water filled poly and I was able to continue tracing another 120ft, almost to the meter.

Tracing was no problem except one area where I got a strong signal in an oval area about 1ft square. Hopefully this is where I find our underground leak. It’s about 6ft away from some sunken ground and another 8ft away from a sinkhole.

Guess I’ll find out next week when we start digging.
    I bought my 19yr old son a brand new shovel.

theestimator
    Master Electrician
    Maryland
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

OK,
    Now we need an update

How well did the new shovel work?