Leveling concrete clearance problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
So, i replaced my front door to an inswing door with a pre hung unit. I cut back a portion of the carpet so i could open the door ,and i wanted to change it to a ceramic tiled in area. The pre hung unit i got came with a super low profile threshold. I knew the concrete area to be tiled might be a little out of level ,just not as bad as this.. (well still not real bad) I put a piece of tile down 12x12", and could only open the door a foot or so before it really rubbed and caught ahold of the door sweep. I thought well changing out the door sweep...no one makes a door sweep or rubber material less than a 1/4" thick, what about no door sweep not a real good idea for obvious reasons, cut the door... I'd rather not on a steel door plus it would void warranty and might cause other issues. So, i was thinking belt sand with a catch bag the 4'x3' area with some very coarse 20 to 40 grit belts. Leveling thhe concrete enough like it is in other low spots to a depth to clear the 1/4" thickness of the ceramic tile plus a bit more to account for thin set. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all!!

DIY

Reaction score
Leveling concrete/clearance issues

i just noticed for clarification the 4'x3' area to be tiled is not called "it"..lol, but is going to be a foyer area the rest will still be carpet .

BigLou

Reaction score
your not going to get very far with a belt sander trying to level out concrete. There are special grinding wheels that go on an angle grinder jus for this task.
However I agree with az contractor. just raise the whole darn thing its going to be a lot easier

Lou

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks