Length of P-trap drain stub-out from the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc

Reaction score
Trying to finish a rough-in for a new DWV kitchen and bathroom and want to know how to rough in the stub-out from the wall? Without the cabinet and sink installed yet, it would be hard to determine the exact length of the short horizontal piece that goes from the trap into the wall. What do the professionals do in this case? If I make it extra long, glue it in, and then cap it with a cover for DWV testing, do I just try and cut it back after the cabinet is installed? When I do cut all my PVC I always try and use a miter saw so I have a perfect square cut, and I hate cutting installed PVC as it never turns square for me.

y4mVgcckFwN4RI9I_EQTqdvXMCMrDqLzcaYlc1B5AZEWJ5m80P7B8x3pYdu4tMEWj3lIk1WexoputnzvrBcW41zT3XmjDW6oV3JGtSvd3NcU7OMeyx9Uj8PgXXsY1Fl7kOK-8rwWzcL1O65YSrBFRkpHo5goigUlUsvI3Ii0KI2nENyTJTnziwb2C6DjkDb5NTVelKSldeRYwg4TdzNecaT2A

y4mZ7yKzRgnfZbDV2O6SIbCrRkN_2OYnjfeDcg6xK7rPIfb2KthuJ9LSsZzLs8CaSxgVT3GK0sALoUhQzLCJnecHsDrIU0kkG1sMns3kSmyrp5_fHrHUS7Its2c8YtdYYnRFs2Rps48hYX33HGr9CB1w6RVty6JgtaA8WmcghCx4yJ7IAeGROJF2G0JjHySs-MNXrcIZD8aSG8zFUqtvoDAxQ

Note: stub-outs show for reference, not glued in yet, as I don't know how long to make them.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trying to finish a rough-in for a new DWV kitchen and bathroom and want to know how to rough in the stub-out from the wall? Without the cabinet and sink installed yet, it would be hard to determine the exact length of the short horizontal piece that goes from the trap into the wall. What do the professionals do in this case? If I make it extra long, glue it in, and then cap it with a cover for DWV testing, do I just try and cut it back after the cabinet is installed? When I do cut all my PVC I always try and use a miter saw so I have a perfect square cut, and I hate cutting installed PVC as it never turns square for me.

y4mVgcckFwN4RI9I_EQTqdvXMCMrDqLzcaYlc1B5AZEWJ5m80P7B8x3pYdu4tMEWj3lIk1WexoputnzvrBcW41zT3XmjDW6oV3JGtSvd3NcU7OMeyx9Uj8PgXXsY1Fl7kOK-8rwWzcL1O65YSrBFRkpHo5goigUlUsvI3Ii0KI2nENyTJTnziwb2C6DjkDb5NTVelKSldeRYwg4TdzNecaT2A

y4mZ7yKzRgnfZbDV2O6SIbCrRkN_2OYnjfeDcg6xK7rPIfb2KthuJ9LSsZzLs8CaSxgVT3GK0sALoUhQzLCJnecHsDrIU0kkG1sMns3kSmyrp5_fHrHUS7Its2c8YtdYYnRFs2Rps48hYX33HGr9CB1w6RVty6JgtaA8WmcghCx4yJ7IAeGROJF2G0JjHySs-MNXrcIZD8aSG8zFUqtvoDAxQ

Note: stub-outs show for reference, not glued in yet, as I don't know how long to make them.

Looks good I can tell you care about the job. As Terry said we just glue apiece in thats long enough , too much going on to guess at proper length . Sometimes on a small job Ill know exactly where the end can be and put it in just right. I dont like having a coupling under the sink but.... the one thing worse than glueing a coupling on is getting my fat self under the cabinet to cut the pipe HA HA some are very tight. So if instead of cutting the pipe it needs a 22.5, 45 or coupling first thing no biggie. If I know its a real tight vanity like one with drawers on one side Ill definately not put a long arm on it.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate cutting installed PVC as it never turns square for me.
Try this: take a piece of paper (or some blue tape sticky side out, or whatever) and wrap it around the pipe 1.3 times (+/-). If it has a straight edge and the edges perfectly align in the overlap, the edge should be square to the pipe around the whole circumference. Slide your sleeve to your cut mark and tape it in place to use as a cut guide.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I had nickle for everytime a plumber put a wrap around to cut a dirty arm square under a sink, Id have zero sence I mean zero cents. and then check it with a square and take a rasp to it come on overkill!

Reach4

Reaction score
Idea: put a long pipe in place but not too tight, and not glued. Then, after the wall is done, glue trap adapter to a pipe, and cut the other end to the right length-- compensating for socket depth. Apply primer with a long dauber lashed up for the purpose, prime the pipe and apply glue. Insert, and twist.

This is not suggested for somebody who is not a little OCD, or at least a slow perfectionist.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I had nickle for everytime a plumber put a wrap around to cut a dirty arm square under a sink, Id have zero sence I mean zero cents. and then check it with a square and take a rasp to it come on overkill!
Different strokes for different folks.

A professional will likely know what level of precision is good enough and have the experience to make the cut freehand. Some DIYers prefer to err on the side of greater precision, and may not have as much experience making the cut.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks.

A professional will likely know what level of precision is good enough and have the experience to make the cut freehand. Some DIYers prefer to err on the side of greater precision, and may not have as much experience making the cut.

Cheers, Wayne

poking a little fun. a nice cut is allways good ! the paper wrap arround is a good trick use it all the time fitting up weld pipe

Dohc

Reaction score
Idea: put a long pipe in place but not too tight, and not glued. Then, after the wall is done, glue trap adapter to a pipe, and cut the other end to the right length-- compensating for socket depth. Apply primer with a long dauber lashed up for the purpose, prime the pipe and apply glue. Insert, and twist.

This is not suggested for somebody who is not a little OCD, or at least a slow perfectionist.

Reach4, if the pipe is not glued in, I can't use the rubber furnco cap, and then we wouldn't be able to test the system. I assume there is a better/similar way to plug the hub/socket then instead of the Furnco?

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4, if the pipe is not glued in, I can't use the rubber furnco cap, and then we wouldn't be able to test the system. I assume there is a better/similar way to plug the hub/socket then instead of the Furnco?
I had not considered testing. Sorry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks