Leaky Frost-proof hose bib

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
At the end of each fall, I disconnect my hose from the frost-proof hose bib. Each spring when I reconnect the hose and turn on the water there is a drip from the handle of the hose bib. It stops when I turn the water off. As the temperature rises the drip seems to stop and I keep the water on at the hose bib and control the flow (on/off) with a manual timer.
Is this a problem with the frost-proof hose bib, or normal? If not normal, what should I try and replace/

Reach4

Reaction score
The leak could be from the packing. Is there a nut under the handle? Maybe tighten that nut some.

Make sure the leak is not from the vacuum breaker, and working its way to the handle area. Leaking at the vacuum breaker is pretty common.

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
The leak could be from the packing. Is there a nut under the handle? Maybe tighten that nut some.

Make sure the leak is not from the vacuum breaker, and working its way to the handle area. Leaking at the vacuum breaker is pretty common.
Tightening the packing nut seemed to do it (or at least greatly improve from a trickle to occasional drip when turned on). I couldn't remove the vacuum cap as the bottom row of siding is sitting on it and couldn't be moved enough to pry off the cap.
Thank you for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I couldn't remove the vacuum cap as the bottom row of siding is sitting on it and couldn't be moved enough to pry off the cap.
Thank you for your help!

If the vacuum breaker ever does start to leak, the O-Ring breaks, or a bug crawls in for water, then you can attach that problem then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks