Leaking 1/4T shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Fritz57

Reaction score
just discovered a leaking 1/4T shutoff on a sink. 10yo BrassCraft chrome.
can't those be repacked or something or to I have to sweat anew?
I assume its sweat, but it has a dress escutcheon behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MKS

Reaction score
The out of alignment brass nut on top of the chrome nut would be the first thing I would look into.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
There should not be any Teflon tape used. That connection with the Teflon tape is a "compression" fitting. The outside threads do not aid in sealing the connection.

Reach4

Reaction score
The out of alignment brass nut on top of the chrome nut would be the first thing I would look into.
I think the photo should show all of that brass-colored part and part of pipe above. I see that is much different than for the cold line farther back in the photo. Did that brass fall from above? Can you just lift the brass piece?

Fritz57

Reaction score
There should not be any Teflon tape used. That connection with the Teflon tape is a "compression" fitting. The outside threads do not aid in sealing the connection.
OK, good to know.
Should either end of the supply tube be teflon or the feed from the valve to the center spout?

Last edited:

Fritz57

Reaction score
I think the photo should show all of that brass-colored part and part of pipe above. I see that is much different than for the cold line farther back in the photo. Did that brass fall from above? Can you just lift the brass piece?

the brass nut is from the supply line at the valve. I disconnected to grease the cartridge.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 3/8 compression nut should be showing maybe one thread when it's tight. The rubber in the female side seals it, not at the threads at all.

MKS

Reaction score
I saw the tape it didn't register. Thanks for the reminder guys.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regarding replacement, if needed. Most of these valves use compression fittings, and are not sweat. This is because compression fitting are easier when working with limited space such as you have here with the wall. When using compression fitting, a drop or two of light oil is all you should use on the threads, and that isn't really required.

Fritz57

Reaction score
the supply risers are older type rigid chromed copper. Should these be replaced with braided ss compression types?
Are all brands pretty much the same or should I stick with BrassCraft?

MKS

Reaction score
You could remove clean and inspect the rigid for contamination corrosion and cracks. If it's good you could reassemble and check for leaks. Good quality braided would be an easy solution. Brass craft should be OK.

Fritz57

Reaction score
I had the shut off and faucet (not that it would matter) off.
I still found driplets on the riser. Seems that would mean the shutoff is leaking even though it's a 1/4T.
Weird.

this is with the cover off and the valve as well as the faucet off. Driplets.
But since the hw and cw combine to a common spout, does this point to a leaky cw valve?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I had the shut off and faucet (not that it would matter) off.
I still found driplets on the riser. Seems that would mean the shutoff is leaking even though it's a 1/4T.
Weird.

this is with the cover off and the valve as well as the faucet off. Driplets.
But since the hw and cw combine to a common spout, does this point to a leaky cw valve?
To me it says that the leak is above your picture. I guess you are saying that the stop valve in your picture is letting water through to leak out above.

Guess its time to replace that.

Those chrome pipes going up are better than flex installed IMO, but they are not as easy to work with.

I notice that the 1/4 turn stops in the catalog above show non-symmetrical handles and your stops show symmetric handles. However you can tell by feel if yours are 1/4 turn.

Last edited:

DaveHo

Reaction score
Water doesn't flow uphill. There will still be water in the faucet above the supply line.

Fritz57

Reaction score
they're def 1/4T in spite of what the ones in the cat look like.
I think either the taper at the top of the riser is damaged or corroded. I tightened a tad, still seeing water at the top nut.
I'll replace them.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Eleven replies and it still aint fixed. Jeeze, dude, it's a drip. Get a hand grenade and some duct tape and I'll show you how to fix it.
Clear a path to the nearest door.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks