leak in bath tun wall and hot water tank...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Sarah111, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Sarah111

Sarah111 New Member

Hello all,
    I have a question concerning a broken pipe in the wall where the bath tub is plus back wash possibilities into a hot water tank. I had mould in that wall around broken pipe and I am wondering if this leak could have comprimised my hot water tank because it was full of dirty water and was coming out of all my taps in the house.

I would really appreciate your advise. This leak was long standing and probably years.

Thanks.

Sarah
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

water heater

I don't think that the leak has anything to do with dirty water.
    I've never been an advocate of draining water heaters, but in your case I'd say drain it. Also be prepared to repair or replace that drain valve.
    Before you start to drain the tank, shut the water off.
    Start draning.
    If you can remove the drain valve and screw ih a piece of 3/4" pipe about 6" would be good. You will drain out a lot more garbage.
    Then open and close the inlet valve to flush out.
  3. Sarah111

Sarah111 New Member

4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

mould

Just speaking as a plumber, I see no reason for that mould to enter the water tank. I don't believe that discolored water was anything but fall out from heating the water and a deteriating water heater tank.
    Get rid of the mould inside that wall though.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It's not uncommon for old tanks to start rusting.

The mold inside the wall is a moisture problem that should not have affected the drinking water. If the leak is fixed and there is no other source of moisture, you should be able to clear up the mold.

A "rusting tank" will affect the water. You shouldn't be drinking from the hot water side anyway. Since the water system is under pressure, you may have things leaking from the tank, but not entering the tank.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/