Lead Acid Batteries

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by GregO, Jul 30, 2008.

1. GregO

GregO New Member

I'm using 6V and 12V lead acid battery chargers with the following specs:

Input: 120V 60Hz 18W
    Output: DC 12V 500 mA

Is there a problem (fire hazard, etc.) with using 5 of these hooked to one outlet using a "Squid" (5 outlet) surge suppressor?

Thanks! Greg
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's less than a 100W lightbulb...so, no. You should be okay. Just don't pile them into an enclosed space.
  3. GregO

GregO New Member

thanks

Thanks Jim.

Good point; I saw the 18 W and was first thinking V!!! D'oh! I just found out that those transformers draw around 100 mA, so...we're good to go.

Greg
  4. jadnashua

Keep in mind they make (and they work, but slowly) soldering irons that only draw less than 20W. You just don't want to pile them all on top of each other - give them a little breathing room.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

?

What do soldering irons have to do with battery chargers, unless there is something in the posting that I am missing.
  6. jadnashua

Wattage, heat, burning things, comparison...a continuous heat source in a confined space, possibly insulated, can produce elevated temperatures. Most people think of a torch for plumbing to get things hot. BUt, a small, low-wattage soldering iron will melt solder for an electrical circuit, too, needing the same temperature (but not BTU). It is easily capable of starting a fire.