Lawn Sprinkler System

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by chris johns 753, Jun 13, 2006.

1. chris johns 753

chris johns 753 New Member

I have a four zone system, all with 4 sprinkler heads. Zones 1,2 and 4 work great. The sprinklers in zone 3 do not pop up when the zone is on although water is flowing out. If you manually pull all the sprinklers up the sprinklers in this zone work great and seem to have good pressure. The sprinklers will not work correctly until all four are pulled up. Any ideas?
  2. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

Has it always been this way?

Sounds like a water restriction. Could be at the valve, or if it has always been this way, could be debris somewhere in the pipe.

Paul
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Could be a break in the pipe too. If this was after a spring startup, then maybe some water got into a head and it busted. Might have enough pressure to work, but just not get going.

As for the water restriction, I'd check the valve first. With most, I think you can see them turn if you watch it get activated. See if it turns as much as the others, or turn it on manually and see if they pop up.

Jason
  4. chris johns 753

chris johns 753 New Member

Yes we bought the home with it, and had the problem then,
    but didn't know it!
  5. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

Jason also made a good point that I overlooked. If you are in an area where a pipe could freeze, it could be a cracked pipe if the system was not winterized properly. If that is the case, you will probably find a rather wet area in your lawn.

Paul
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Finding a wet spot isn't always too easy. Depending on how deep the pipe is buried, you may have to let each zone operate for a fairly long time before the wet spot gets to the surface. You might want to cap the sprinklers and then turn the zone on for several hours.