laminated pine panels

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by kellyhrj, Nov 23, 2009.

1. kellyhrj

kellyhrj New Member

Hi

Just built some bathroom cabinets and want to stain the outsides but not the insides. Will laminated pine panels warp if I do this?

THanks

Hilary
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Any time you don't have similar moisture absorbtion (i.e., different finishes) on both sides of a wood panel, the panel can warp. A bathroom can have some significant humidity levels if it contains a shower or even a bath. I'd be leary. Are you going to cover the stain with a topical finish like urethane? If so, then having one side stained and the other shouldn't make much difference. If it is going to be natural...you may.
  3. kellyhrj

kellyhrj New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to use minwax polyshades which is a stain and polyurethane together. I'm going to use their pre stain wood conditioner also. I don't want to stain all the sides of the boxes that don't show. So will just stain the face, and the door/drawer fronts and one exposed end.

I understand that plain pine boards would warp but wasnt sure about the laminated stuff. I'm using a fairly dark stain and wanted the lighter natural pine colour inside.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Just use the 'normal' urethane on the inside. If you don't want the yellowish color of the oil based stuff, they have some that is water based, if I remember properly.