New Circuit - Panel Recessed in Concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

C317414

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a condo in Puerto Rico (NEC applies here). The walls are reinforced concrete. The service panel is recessed in a concrete wall, and all existing wiring in the condo is through metal conduits buried in the walls.

I need to add another 15A circuit, and will be running the wiring through a conduit outside a wall. What would be the easiest way to run the wire to the existing panel? Will I need to drill/chisel out the concrete adjacent to the panel in order to connect the conduit to the panel? Is there any type of device that would allow me to make a surface connection to the box without having to break any concrete?

C317414

Reaction score
You misunderstood me. I'm not trying to extend a circuit. Let me explain it again.

The service panel is recessed in a concrete wall. I want to add another circuit breaker and run the wiring to a new outlet using conduit on the surface of the wall. When a panel is recessed in a drywall/stud wall it's pretty easy to make a hole in the drywall. It's not so easy when the panel is recessed in concrete. Other than chiseling out some concrete next to the service panel, is there another way to do this?

Fitter30

Reaction score
1/2" emt 14 gauge wires can hold 12 wires. 9 for 12 gauge. In a pipe going back to the panel. Use one existing wire as a pull wire pull the new wires in with them. Lube the new wires up and use two people.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
From what I heard, it is normal to chisel out the concrete. Ask a local what the norm is, and I expect they have local electricians that are practiced at that.

C317414

Reaction score
1/2" emt 14 gauge wires can hold 12 wires. 9 for 12 gauge. In a pipe going back to the panel. Use one existing wire as a pull wire pull the new wires in with them. Lube the new wires up and use two people.
This has nothing to do with my question.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with my question.
Fitter30's suggestion is that you take advantage of one of the existing runs of EMT between your embedded panel and a conveniently located box. If that run is not overly full, you can pull additional conductors into it. Then as you wanted to install your new conduit surface mounted on the wall, that box can have a raised cover installed, so the conduit can come out the side of the raised cover on the face of the wall.

That way you don't have to do any concrete removal. Otherwise, no, there's no solution that doesn't involve breaking concrete.

Cheers, Wayne

C317414

Reaction score
Fitter30's suggestion is that you take advantage of one of the existing runs of EMT between your embedded panel and a conveniently located box. If that run is not overly full, you can pull additional conductors into it. Then as you wanted to install your new conduit surface mounted on the wall, that box can have a raised cover installed, so the conduit can come out the side of the raised cover on the face of the wall.

That way you don't have to do any concrete removal. Otherwise, no, there's no solution that doesn't involve breaking concrete.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks.

Unfortunately, there are no existing runs anywhere near where the new outlet is needed (utility closet). Moreover, the closest run goes to a box embedded in a concrete wall that is in a finished interior wall. I do not want to run surface conduit from a finished wall.

This is the way most construction is here. All walls are reinforced concrete. Electrical runs are in embedded conduit, and boxes are recessed in concrete. Remodeling is a lot of fun.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no existing runs anywhere near where the new outlet is needed (utility closet). Moreover, the closest run goes to a box embedded in a concrete wall that is in a finished interior wall. I do not want to run surface conduit from a finished wall.
Just to confirm, you don't actually need a box near where the new outlet is to be located. You just need a box that will let you run surface mount conduit from that box to the desired location, without installing a whole lot of extra conduit.

Otherwise, breaking concrete is the only option.

Cheers, Wayne

C317414

Reaction score
Just to confirm, you don't actually need a box near where the new outlet is to be located. You just need a box that will let you run surface mount conduit from that box to the desired location, without installing a whole lot of extra conduit.

Otherwise, breaking concrete is the only option.

Cheers, Wayne

Look at wiremold, cable race way and cable management.

Thanks.

My condo has a closet that is adjacent to a pantry, and the service panel is in the closet. I am going to modify the pantry so I can install a dishwasher (plumbing is not an issue), and I need power for the dishwasher. The issue is not specifically how close an existing outlet is. The issue is that I do not want to run external conduit, or wiremold in a finished area, and all the existing outlets are in finished areas. I want the external conduit or wiremold run to remain inside the closet and pantry.

I was hoping that there was such a thing as a service panel trim extension, similar to an electrical box extension. This would allow a surface conduit to connect to the extension from the side.

I guess that I'll have to break out my chisel and hammer drill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks