Kohler Tub Refinish or Replace?!

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jlstover2013, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jlstover2013

jlstover2013 New Member

Currently we have a Kohler Villager bathtub. Its still in newer, in good condition, no rust, but the shiny finish is starting to wear. We are re-tiling and I'm just wondering if I should replace it or refinish it. My biggest fear is to put the new tile in and the tub sticks out. I'll attach some pictures and give me your thought. Bathroom JC 003.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It would cost as much to do a good refinish as it would to buy a new tub. Since you are retiling, i would replace it.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Refinishing tubs is never as good as the original factory finish (well, maybe a full restoration where they sandblast the thing clean, then add new glaze and fire it for a factory like new finish). Some report as little as a few years, then things start to peel or flake. Epoxy paints are good, but never as robust as a good factory porcelain finish. Both the liners and refinishes are a stopgap patch. Maybe okay for a rental or a flip; not for something you want to keep.