Kohler toilet quality..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Donn2390

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace three toilets in a rental unit. I'm a devout Toto fan and have them in my house, but want to save a few bucks on the rental, and still have a good toilet.
I went to a plumbing supply store and they recommended the new 1.28 Kohler.
Tell me all I need to know about Kohler and why I shouldn't buy one..!
Thanks, I value the opinions expressed by the experts in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYCguy

Reaction score
I too just went thru this but needed a pink toilet so got a kohler memoirs 3812. was $900
For cheap and good quality id use the kohler cimmaron "class 6" good flush and clean and price is great
for a rental. I have never had problems for parts with kohler heck they will send me free parts half the time for my faucets :) can't complain there. The archer is also a nice toilet :)

Cimarron link at depot for $268

Archer for $382

Archer toilet shown by consumer reports demo :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler design lends for many clogs. I certain would not want one in my own home or in a rental. You might save a few dollars, but I wonder how many calls from renters it would take before the savings wasn't that important anymore? Just wondering. Repair parts are often very costly and available only from Kohler with at least several days wait to get them.

Donn2390

Reaction score
The Wellworth RF is $190. The Toto Eco drake is over $300. If they were close, I'd go Toto
This is a slow payback, if I have to spend $300 each for a good toilet, then I can't replace all three..!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been selling the Eco Drake round for $219.99
Some places are giving $100 rebates for the Watersense toilets, have you checked with your water provider?
The Wellworth will work too.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
You're right, Terry. The Totos I purchased were ADA and elongated, therefore the extra cost. I will check on a standard eco-drake and if I can get it for 199.99, I'll gladly pay the difference over the Kohler.
if notT, IT'S the Wellsworth for me, as long as you say it will work...!
Thank you for your advice

Donn2390

Reaction score
OK, here it is a couple of weeks later, and I decided it will be Toto or nothing. My question for Terry, did I understand you have a So Calif location, and what is the least expensive Toto..?
I love my Eco Drake and want to buy three more, I just wondered if there is a less expensive model, since this home isn't my primary residence. If not, what is the cost on an Eco Drake, just a basic one. Standard height, round bowl, white. Must be 1.2 gpf to meet rebate requirements
The place I purchased the Toto's I have now is 60 miles away, one way, and they won't quote prices over the phone. It would be nice to know the cost before traveling 120 miles..!!

David Greams

Reaction score
I worked at Home Depot in kitchen & bath for 3 years, and Glacier Bay toilets were one of the most common items we had to replace due to faulty/short-lasting flush mechanisms. You really do get what you pay for in a toilet, and you're not paying for much with Glacier Bay.

I usually steered people toward American Standard because they were well built and a little cheaper than Kohler... with Kohler it seems like you are paying a little extra for a more "stylish" toilet while American Standard seemed to keep it simple.

In addition to the mechanics being better quality and more durable in the Kohler, you're likely also going to get a thicker porcelain with a more durable glaze.

Another thing a lot of people don't know is that even if two toilets use the same volume of water per flush, a better designed toilet will harness more flushing power from that water just from a superior bowl design flow pattern. Are you going to take big enough shits to need that extra flushing power? Probably not, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks