Kohler Rite-Temp Valve Disassembly

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ziggy96, Oct 1, 2005.

1. ziggy96

ziggy96 New Member

[​IMG]

I am in the process of installing a Kohler Rite-Temp valve(model R304-K-NA) in a new shower installation. I want to disassemble the valve so I can sweat the joints near the valve. I already sweated a theaded female connector to a small length a pipe I need for the installation, and then threaded that piece onto the shower valve. I want to disassemble the valve for the next couple of joints as they are in close proximity of the valve.

The Home Owner Guide does show exact details of the disassembly. It shows a screw as one of the first parts. I see the two screws that hold the collar on, but when I take those off, the valve doesn't come apart. Am I missing something?

Instructions for the Kohler Rite-Temp valve here
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  2. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

One small item that might make your life easier, so you don't have to come back and ask how to stop the female adapters from leaking. The copper tubing will slide right into the valve, and can be soldered there, so you do not need the adapters.
  4. ziggy96

ziggy96 New Member

Rite-Temp Valve

Thanks guys. I got the disassembly done. As far as sweating the pipe right into the valve, how far do you have to have the pipe into the valve or are there stops? And how long do you think I have to heat up the valve before I get enopugh heat to melt the solder? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

There are stops and you only heat it until the solder flows normally.
  6. ziggy96

ziggy96 New Member

Guys,
    It worked out nicely. Thanks alot. :cool: