Kohler Cast iron porcelain

Users who are viewing this thread

AH81

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I recently noticed that I have some small faint dimpling on the surface of my new kohler bellwether cast iron tub. . Been using it a few months no other issues. At the base of some dimples there is a gray under tone. Not sure if its shadowing, or the dark metal showing through the porcelain.

My question, is how thick is the porcelain on this tub?
Does anyone have any good photos showing the porcelain thickness?

Attachments

• Dimple 1.jpg
    Dimple 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Dimple 2.jpg
    Dimple 2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 263

AH81

Reaction score
Terry,
Thank for your response. I did put a surface scratch on the tub with Hardieboard and was able to buff it some. I still know its there, no one else does. I had called Kohler and a person on the phone said the porcelain was 0.75-1.5 mm thick. Not sure how true that statement is though, I've gotten some blatantly wrong information from Kohler before.
This seemed awfully thin, but Ive never busted one apart.

Whats your thought on Kohler's reported thickness, 0.75-1.5 mm? Im assuming someone on here has busted one apart.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mateer-02.jpg

The finish is pretty darn thick I think. I took a tour of the factory where they were making these things. I wasn't allowed a camera in there, but it was impressive.

AH81

Reaction score
Awesome Terry.

Ive used your forum for many projects and come to respect yours and this forums opinion.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Just stressed out, trying to do it right.

Adam

AH81

Reaction score
I also found some photos depicting broken tubs, gives you an idea of the porcelain thickness.

Attachments

• 8ba5a8bd-ece4-5961-8d33-8080fba12655.jpg
    8ba5a8bd-ece4-5961-8d33-8080fba12655.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 249
  • 510585_4339798.jpg
    510585_4339798.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 286
  • a645bb51-d8ee-52b9-9f96-40551edf1787.jpg
    a645bb51-d8ee-52b9-9f96-40551edf1787.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 260

AH81

Reaction score
Sorry to beat a dead horse
Spoke with Kohler, I find that the help you get with kohler is all dependent on who you speak with.

If anyone wants to know, Kohler's enameling process involves 4 different layers and in the end the cast iron is about 1/4" thick and the enameled porcelain is probably under 1/8th of an inch. The gentleman on the phone stated that it was probably about 3/32" thick. He had no concerns with my tub, except that it had surface blemishes.

Once again, A great forum.
Thanks.

AH81

Reaction score
The thickness of the porcelain is irrelevant if the cast iron had a flaw so that the porcelain at that point is thinner.

True but I don't think the cast iron had a flaw causing the porcelain to be thinner. This is called porcelain blistering, its just a surface defect in the porcelain.

In theory, if the cast iron had a flaw, then the porcelain would be the same thickness coating the flaw. Right?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
not necessarily. If the coating is "smooth" the thickness will be less over a 'hummock". In any case, if there is any doubt, I would suggest a Kohler representative looking at it to verify there is no problem, BEFORE the tub is sealed in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks