Kohler Cast Iron or Americast???????

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by a.y1320, Dec 12, 2009.

1. a.y1320

a.y1320 New Member

Hello, I am new to this site and have a question about the two tubs. I am in the process of remodeling our guest bathroom. It is torn down to the studs, and getting brand new everything. I just bought the 60"x30" Americast and I am wondering if I made the right decsion. The cast iron Kohler was the same price but I was a little scared off by the actual weight and moving the tub into place. This is my first Tub install and I want it to go as smoothly as possible. Is the americast just as good or should I go for the Kohler?
    Thanks in advance....
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Americast is just fine.
  3. Annanvy

Annanvy New Member

I am having the same problem as you. It's just that I purchased the Kohler cast iron and am wondering if I should have purchased the Americast instead. I need to make a decide by Columbus Day whether or not to keep the cast iron or exchange it for the Americast because installation begins tomorrow. <nail biting>
  4. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

I'm just a DIY'er and ask for advice here all the time but I had the same problem.

Since this is a guest bathroom, you'd be ok with either or. I had the same dilemma when putting in a tub for my home. I went with the Kohler Cast iron BUT I had 3 others helping me. One guy squats close to 900lbs daily. :) So it went in pretty smooth. I don't regret it though.

But take my advice with a grain of salt. Just read the reviews and make your decision.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Unless you are a plumber who has worked with cast iron all your life, or you have an unusual installation, you will work you butt off trying to get the cast iron tub in place without getting a hernia. I remove and install cast iron tubs all the time by myself, but it is a talent that you develop over many years.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would keep the new cast tub that you have.
  7. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

I'll second that.
    cast iron is by far the higher quality item, although it will be a bear to install without any prior experience. Americast is basically a pressed steel tub with an epoxy coating.
  8. Gsalet

Gsalet George the Plumber

I agree Cast iron also tend to chip less