Kitchen sink faucet base leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Talisker, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Talisker

Talisker New Member

I have Moen kitchen sink faucet which has small leak at the base on to granite every time you turn it on for about more than couple of minutes. Even after having black washer gasket at the base, it leaks around the washer gasket. If I were to replace a faucet with plate, would it still leak? Or is there a better solution? I have attached the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. dj2

dj2 New Member

First find the source of the leak. Is it coming from the handle down to the base?
  3. asktom

asktom Member

The spout probably needs new O-rings. Pull the spout off, remove the 2 O-rings and match them up at the hardware store. I like to smear a little silicone grease on the new rings.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Make sure the hand held is on the hose tight. They tend to loosen.

The spout does not use two O-rings. It's a pull out spout with hand held.
  5. Talisker

Talisker New Member

I had plumber check the handheld hose. It is very tight and hose is not wet. I had also called Moen and they suggested on changing out cartridge. But plumber changed out the whole faucet and it still has leak.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Some older Moen faucets had an internal "air gap" which would fail and cause a leak like that. IF yours is one of them, Moen sends an upgrade kit which eliminates it.