Jetting 8" PVC w/ a 3000 psi 4.0 gpm washer? Homeowner questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

robzr

Reaction score
I have a 8" PVC drain catching water from a steep hillside here in the Pacific Northwest. Its clogged with a pretty fine silty mud that has come down the hill in the last 28 years since the drainage setup was put in place. I've managed to dig out the little pond and access an iron grate and plenum above the PVC. I can jab a home depot 1/2" steel fishtape style "drain cleaner" about 5 feet down into the mud, till I hit what I think is a bend in the pipe, where it would turn to go under my driveway (I think, I'm trying to interpret a 28 year old inspection report drawing).

So I went out and got a used power washer (I needed one anyways). It has a 3000 psi 4.0 gpm General pump on it. I'm looking at dultmeier and amazingmachinery to piece together a jetting kit. I'm totally new to this, so here's what I'm wondering.

Is this going to work?

1/4" or 3/8" hose for the jetting kit? I think 50' is more than enough for where I think the clog is. Looks like the nozzle size (4.5) I need is much more readily available for 1/4" nozzles.

Dultmeier has polyurethane/polyester fiber braid jetting hose for $28 for 50' of 1/4". Amazingmachinery has Scheifer 1/4" nylon braided hose for $57 for the same size. Is it worth the extra money? I doubt I'll use this very often, just to clean this drain and my gutters maybe.

I can get a General pulser valve that fits my pump for $70, or a Suttner America foot valve for about the same. What's a wiser purchase? Do I need either one?

I'd really appreciate any tips or info you guys have. I'm totally new to this, I've only been reading about jetters online for a day or so, never even seen one in person.

Rob

Part H

Reaction score
For PVC pipe you wouldn't need that much pressure. It can easily cut holes in the pipe, which would then need to be excavated and replaced. The pipe manufacturer has a specified safe jetting pressure.

robzr

Reaction score
For PVC pipe you wouldn't need that much pressure. It can easily cut holes in the pipe, which would then need to be excavated and replaced. The pipe manufacturer has a specified safe jetting pressure.

Thanks for the heads up! I just found this article: http://www.stoneagetools.com/PDF/Papers/SAFE WATERJET CLEANING OF SEWER PIPE.pdf and it sounds like they experienced issues at 2000 psi that were gone at 1500 psi. I'm going to have to crank down the pressure on my unit!

Rob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks