Jet Pump venturi/nozzle selection

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by toolfool, Sep 17, 2008.

1. toolfool

toolfool New Member

Hello pump guys - I have a new 3/4 horse Dayton convertible jet-pump. I have a Dayton ejector-kit which includes the cast iron ejector, four different sizes of plastic nozzle/venturis and a chart. The chart tells me to choose nozzle/venturi size that matches my motor hp. Choices are for 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 1-1/2 hp. Here is my question: If I want to maximum delivered water pressure, at the expense of some flow, can I choose an alternative nozzle/venturi size? The vertical lift from my cistern is just 10 feet. Horizontal run from cistern is 50 feet of 1-1/4 pipe. Thanks.:cool:
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I assume you have the shallow well ejector. Dayton is a motor name from Graingers. And there was a Rapidayton Pump years ago, but has long since been discontinued.

Anyhow, the answer is yes, you can substitute. Sta-Rite makes oodles of nozzle and venturi combinations. Betta Flo makes several. They always use a 1/4" nozzle and just change the venturi. This makes life so much simpler. So if you have a 1/4" nozzle, you can play with the venturi's to get the desired pressure. We do it a lot with our jet pumps when someone wants to use a jet pump with a cistern and a Cycle Stop Valve.

Since I don't know what pump you have I can't be much help with your exact combination.

We have done testing with our test bench for the 1 and 1.5 hp jet pumps with many venturi sizes from 9 to 21/32nds of an inch. The difference in pressure compared to volume is impressive.

bob...
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Speedbump's right!

Speedbump said it all in a few words!
  4. toolfool

toolfool New Member

toolfool

Thanks guys. Yes it is a Grainger 1D875, which is listed as a 'premium' pump. I have not put it in service yet. Am gunning for plenty of pressure to push through the filters I talked about in a previous thread. I imagine a smaller orifice will yield higher pressure. The sizes start at 0.480 and step evenly up to about 0.580. A 0.500 is recommended. Would be happy to see 65 psi static.

:cool:
  5. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I don't have room for a Grainger book in my office. Premium is a homeowner buzz word, so it doesn't mean much to us.

bob...
  6. toolfool

toolfool New Member

toolfool

Hi Bob. Thanks for your help. I'll just play around with the venturies, until I get the optimum combination.:cool: