Is this one of the 'OK' offset closet flanges?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by grymes56, Apr 30, 2010.

1. grymes56

grymes56 New Member

I am doing a full joist up bathroom remodel - including replacing about 85 percent of the home's rotting copper DWV system with PVC...BTW I do not need to worry about inspections but I want it done right regardless.

I purchased a Toto Promenade (12" rough, and it doesnt work with UNIFIT) BEFORE starting the renovation assuming I could rough it in at 12".

Anyway, it turns out that I was forced to rough in the toilet at 14" because of a joist in the way that could not be headered off or moved. I used a 4x3 closet bend and the top is about flush with the top of the subfloor. I will be doing a traditional mudbed on the floor with thick marble tile - so I should have plenty thickness to fit this offset flange. The codes are ambiguous regarding offset flanges - only stating that fittings cannot have a shelf for obvious reasons.

I have read on Terry Love forums that SOME of the offset flanges are OK - specifically the non-oval ones. Does this classify as one of those? The ring is stainless so I am not worried about corrosion.

The Sioux Cheif website claims that a full 3" ball will pass with no obstuctions, and that it is UPC listed.

[​IMG]

http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/ResidentialDrainage/Closet-Flanges/Full-Flush.C2ZZV
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you are going to use an offset, then that will work.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

If you roughed in a 4x3 ell against the sub-floor there is no way that is going to fit, look at how far the joint has to be below the floor, also if you are against a joist you will have to cut part of that out too.
  4. grymes56

grymes56 New Member

I can make the floor be as thick as 2" with mud and tile. That flange I linked to is of the 4" inside/3" outside type. That is to say it fits inside sch 40 4" pie OR it fits over sch 40 3" pipe (standard 3" hub). Since I have a 4 inch hub from the 4x3 bend I will slip in a short segment of 4" pipe into the hub, and then the closet flange fits into the short segment of pipe. That is the way I would do it regardless of the offset flange. There is no more cutting needed - the hub from the 4x3 ell is totally visible thru the hole I cut when laying the subfloor.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  6. grymes56

grymes56 New Member

thanks for the info terry. Since I already havethe 4x3 closet bend in there and the subfloor closed in I either have to go with an offset flange or nothing at all. Also - the 45 deg flanges wouldnt help much anyway since the drain runs parallel to the wall (i,e, perpendicular to the toilet centerline). That is why I couldnt header off the joist to begin with - the drain itself running thru the joist bay prevented that.