Is this ok... stand pipe, laundry tub, bar sink, shower plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by yngwie_69, May 17, 2013.

1. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

Is this ok for venting... bar sink and laundry tub are back to back

Attached Files:

• reno.jpg
      reno.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Laundry tub needs a vent.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is above the washer drain so it is wet vented properly. Even the washing machine does not "need" the vent if it is as close to the riser as shown. A "by the book" inspector might reject it because of fixture units on the 2" line, (which is why you show that section as 3"), even though it is vertical into a main line.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

And they do reject it when inspected.
    But this guy is just up the road from me, and maybe in BC it's okay.

I don't like doing things twice, so I tend to do it to code in such a way as there is no arguement with the inspector. Time is money. A few bucks in fittings isn't a savings when you make a trip back to change it and re-inspect.

I prefer to give advice that will pass a plumbing inspection. I don't really care what they used to do during the Civil War. We're in the 21st Century now.

My son has been asked to play in Vancouver in July. It's going to be tricky as he's doing a big gig in Bellevue, and then would have to head North and make a border crossing to set up again in Canada.
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  5. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

why does laundry tub need vent...... bar sink is rarely used..

why not use 2 by inch one half tees for fixtures.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When the fixture above drains quickly, like pulling the plug and draining, it can siphon the trap below.

Will the bar sink drain slow enough? Well...........if it's really a kitchen sink with a 3.5" basket, it can drain pretty quickly. That's the same as trying to wet vent a kitchen sink over a laundry tub.

Anyway, if you are asking a code question, there is an answer for that.
    If you are asking what you can do in the dark, there is an answer for that. Will the in the dark method work? Maybe....and maybe not. So much depends on the drain you're installing and how you may drain the top sink.

Is this being inspected?
    If so, you can ask the inspector if he will pass that. That's what I do if in doubt.
    On some commercial jobs, you always have a talk with the local inspector before you start laying out.
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

i see no other way to do this, hence the back to back. the laundry tub and bar sink are stacked tees.. no room for a vent. this bar sink is in a closet type room which he wants to put a small fridge under the counter. This bar sink is small like 8 inches deep and 12 inches wide