is this mess really how it's done?

Discussion in 'IPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by dls, Dec 21, 2016.

1. dls

dls New Member

Homeowner currently undergoing gut renovation on bathroom. The tub is being converted to a walk in shower which necessitates going from current 1 1/2 drain to a 2 inch. Permit has been pulled. Old drain was 1 1/2 inch copper. Plumber has replaced with 2 inch PVC. Please see attached pic of the connection at the cast iron stack. I would have assumed he would use a Fernco to make the connection. Instead it looks like he kept the stub of the copper in place and crudely slid a burned/ melted section of PVC over it (to disguise it?). I will address this with the plumber tomorrow. Just wanted a pros opinion first.

20161221_201951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Are you sure he did not set the PVC into the cast iron hub by pouring lead? Which way is up on your picture?

I am not a plumber, but I have seen PVC into CI that way. It was startling initially. It works well.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dls

dls New Member

I was standing over the hub, looking down on the connection when taking the picture. Seems like there is metal (copper) under the pvc . I will try to take a better picture.

5. dls

dls New Member

Here's another picture.....

20161221_211816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I only see PVC.

7. dls

dls New Member

Hi Terry,
    There is a space between the pvc and the hub. What is connecting the pvc to the hub?