Is this an acceptable P-Trap design for a shower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

El Jefe

Reaction score
I have an existing 2" waste line from a shower. The previous drain was centered, but we're putting in a Kerdi-Line linear drain (with offset drain hole). The drain hole will be only a couple inches from the current position of the waste line. I grabbed a couple pieces for a P-trap while I was Lowe's today that I thought would allow me to tie the new p-trap directly into the existing line without having to move it or try to hard.

Here's a picture. The penciled "x" is where I estimate the drain hole will be (don't have the drain just yet, but this is based on dimensions from product manuals). The P-Trap flows the opposite direction of the waste line (which flows to the right in this picture under the floor and wall). Is it ok to have the direction turn around like this, or should the p-trap flow in the same direction as the long run for the waste line? If needed I can just spin the p-trap around to the other side and have the same parallel position, but I'd have to work the connections a foot or so further under the floor where I don't have easy access. However, if I do it the way I've pictured, I'll be able to cut, clean and glue everything a lot easier.

IMG_2682.jpg

Hope that all made sense.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's not accessible, it should be a glued trap. Those threaded traps are a problem wating to happen.

The fitting and angle are fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just be careful and measure twice...dry fitting the pieces together will not be accurate since once the cement is applied, the pipe and pieces will fit further into the sockets than they would just dry...you need to measure to get it right, and with cement, you get one chance to put it together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks