Is this a check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sandy T

Reaction score
Hello experts!

Is this a check valve? It looks like it, but I wanted to make sure. If so, how can I remove it? I am trying to install a new check valve, but it's hard to remove the one in the picture. I tried to turn it anti-clock wise, but it doesn't turn! Please help.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230528_172329.jpg
    20230528_172329.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230528_172337.jpg
    20230528_172337.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 64

royalflush001

Reaction score
Yes, this is a glued check valve. One common example is the PVC check valve. They can be glued or solvent-welded to PVC pipes or fittings. The glue used for PVC check valves is typically PVC solvent cement, which creates a strong and reliable bond between the valve and the pipe. The solvent cement softens and fuses the PVC materials together, creating a secure and leak-free connection.

Apply acetone solvent using a cloth or sponge and gently rub it on the glued area. Make sure to focus on the areas where the glue is present. This will eventually remove the glue.

Sandy T

Reaction score
Royalflush001, Thank you so much for the guidance of using acetone! It worked very nicely for removing the glued check valve.

Another question,, after removing the check valve, I realized the drain pipe is only 1 inch. Is it ok to keep the one inch pipe? I had a flooding issue in the area where the sump pump was installed. The sump pump is working, so I suspected the failure of check valve. So, I am trying to replace it. But, now I wonder if the pipe size would be a cause of flooding issue. Online information recommends 1.5 inch but then I need to make a bigger hole in the foundation wall to install 1.25 or 1.5 inch pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks