is 90 short sweep elbow allowed going down vert to horz?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by snokel, Jun 9, 2014.

1. snokel

snokel Member

I have a 2inch pipe dropping vertical down wall to basement and I need to run it horizontal after the vertical drop is a short sweep allowed in this case as gravity gives the elbow a bit more velocity?
    It will go horizontal through a joist to a 3 inch pipe with a wye.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Wow! No, just the opposite.

From vertical to horizontal, it has always be a long turn 90

From horizontal to vertical, that's where you can use a medium.

Short turn? Only on vents above flood level.
  3. snokel

snokel Member

ok, so if my flow is going from horz to down vertical I can use the medium sweep 90, but if the flow is going straight down vertical then horizontal I can't use the medium sweep 90.
    (yes I meant a medium sweep not a vent 90)

Is a long sweep 90 with the street end ok to use?

Only reason I asked about the medium 90 is for space reasons, it should work with a long sweep with a street end for the vertical connection, if I can find them locally, no one has them.

4. snokel

snokel Member

Just a fyi, I don't think Wisc goes by this but:

the IPC is one of the few plumbing codes that
    recognizes the use of short pattern 90-degree fittings
    for a horizontal change in direction on fixture drains 2
    inches in diameter and smaller.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Sure, why not. I don't live there.

A job two weeks ago. Two toilets back to back, dropping into a santee on it's back. The santee is the same as a medium bend. Instead of all of the waste (poo) going downstream of the fitting, quite a bit went the other direction, plugging up a 1.5" lav line. A wye, or long 90 would have forced the water downstream. You will lose speed with that fitting. But............I can't see it from where I live.
    I've always plumbed for best performance. I like my cars that way too.