Intermittent well pump issues - advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

dmorley

Reaction score
Hi, We have a submersible pump. The water level dropped below the pump so we lowered it. It works fine when it works, but has an intermittent issue where it won't start when it's supposed to. Once it starts it's fine, but we have to manually start the pump - sometimes every day sometimes just every few days. We have a control box even though 2 wire so what we've tried is bypassing the control box (didn't change anything) and replacing the pressure switch (didn't change anything). My husband's best guess is that the start capacitor on the pump or the pump motor was going out so we ordered a new pump. What's worrying us now is that in the time it took to get around to testing and ordering a new pump and to get the new pump in the issue has remained but hasn't gotten any worse.

If the pump was failing, would it be iffy for this long (been a few months now)? It had some wear and tear from the water level going dry (and the pump fell into the well when my husband was lowering it and his safety rig failed so it might also have some extra wear and tear from hitting the bottom) but i would think it would've just died by now if it was going out.

The wiring is the only other thing we can think of but could some sort of short be intermittent like this? There is power going to the pump as far as we can test when the problem occurs but don't know what's happening inside the well. I would think a short wouldn't be intermittent like this since the wire shouldn't move much since it's taped to the pipe but i don't know much about wiring.

The really odd thing is we've found that more often or not if we turn off the control box and just touch the fuses that the pump starts up when we turn the control box back on. But it had the intermittent issue when we didnt' have the control box connected so seems odd. Does this give anyone a clue as to what's going on?

We're going to replace the pump but need to decide if also to change out the wire since that's an additional expense. My biggest fear is that we'll go to all the trouble of pulling and replacing the pump and have the problem still here! If anyone has an idea of something else we should test or check first, or has had this problem before, i'd love to hear about it! Thanks...

Reach4

Reaction score
You need a device to shut down the pump for a while when the well runs short of water. I am not saying this would have prevented the current situation. But running a pump with no water to pump is bad for the pump.

Regarding the wires, I don't know. If you had a clamp-on ammeter you could measure the current to the pump when it is not pumping. If that current is zero, the wires are a potential cause of that. If the current is several amps, the problem is not the wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks