Intermittent & horrible sewer smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Inigo Montoya

Reaction score
Apologies for blowing up the forums of late. I suspect these issues are ultimately related to each other.

We have, for a very long time, dealt with staggering sewer smells from the floor drains of our restrooms. Seemingly at random and with no clear tie to weather or pressure or anything of that nature as far as I can recall.

This morning is one of those times.

Aside from checking the sealant around the bases of the commodes, flushing floor drains slowly with hot water to refill traps (if indeed they're dry) and checking roof vent, what else do I need to be doing?

Also, what all can be a cause for such paint-peeling smells in the first place?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
rheem_rack_primer.jpg

Your floor drain may be lacking a trap primer, or it may have quit working. In the circle is a trap primer, connected by a 1/2" line to a fitting above the trap below the slab. This keeps a floor drain from drying out.

I have been in many large bathrooms with horrible smells. You don't need hot water, you just need water period. And on a regular basis. When the trap dries out, you have a direct connection to every bad smell that your sewage lines can give you. It ain't pretty. :(

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Reaction score
Thats fascinating. I don't believe the floor drain to our commercial restrooms has ever had a source of water from elsewhere. I'll investigate further, thank you

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have been in more buildings that did not have trap primers than those that have. I fill the trap and then pour an ounce of vegetable oil in, which floats on the water and slows the evaporation process.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Seems like installing one after the fact might be quite the effort, no?

If you have someone checking paper in the stalls, keeping things clean, just add pouring water in the floor drains to the list.

Otherwise.......open the floors and installing tubing under the floor, patch and refloor, and add the primer with the lav cold water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks