installing water hammer arrestors

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by scrappy, May 26, 2014.

1. scrappy

scrappy New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    New York
    When installing water hammer arrestors on a washing machine, do i use teflon tape on the plastic washing machine valves? I've never dealt with plastic thread before. :confused
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Mar 30, 2011
    Rocket Scientist
    Houston, TX

No. It should have a washer, May / Should have a screen in it.

Good Luck.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Never put tape on a washer thread. It just makes it harded to thread down. The rubber washer makes the seal.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    There are two general types of waterproof threaded joints (well, maybe a third if you consider a union threaded): tapered pipe threads that get tighter as you screw them together - these need a sealant on the threads (tape or pipe dope); and threaded joints that rely on a compression washer and use 'straight' threads. A straight thread remains the same force to continue screwing it together until the seal gets tight...continuing to tighten it, compresses that gasket and makes the seal.