installing water hammer arrestors

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by scrappy, May 26, 2014.

1. scrappy

scrappy New Member

When installing water hammer arrestors on a washing machine, do i use teflon tape on the plastic washing machine valves? I've never dealt with plastic thread before. :confused
    Thanks
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

No. It should have a washer, May / Should have a screen in it.

Good Luck.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Never put tape on a washer thread. It just makes it harded to thread down. The rubber washer makes the seal.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are two general types of waterproof threaded joints (well, maybe a third if you consider a union threaded): tapered pipe threads that get tighter as you screw them together - these need a sealant on the threads (tape or pipe dope); and threaded joints that rely on a compression washer and use 'straight' threads. A straight thread remains the same force to continue screwing it together until the seal gets tight...continuing to tighten it, compresses that gasket and makes the seal.