Installation of new Tub/Shower Unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Smith

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster to the forum. Thanks to Terry and all for having a place to come and ask questions.

I searched the forums but did not see an answer for my specific question. My question relates to replacement of a my current tub/shower unit. I hate to even replace it but everything else in the house is being replaced new so I think I would be making a huge mistake to not change out this unit (the acrylic? finish is long gone as well).

The current unit is surrounded on three sides and is 58 1/4" in length (as measured from wall to wall). My guess is the unit is secured directly to the wall studs. My specific question is will a multipiece unit be a "simple" bolt right back in?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steven

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have, stud to stud is 60"

There are many kits that will work that come in pieces.
Sterling makes a nice one.

You could also go with a standard tub and go with a tile, cultured marble or laminate surround.

The advantage of the kits, is up-front savings
Cons are, drywalling up to the unit after it's in place.

Steven Smith

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good info - thanks Terry. That makes sense now so the unit would drop right in stud to stud. I couldn't figure out the kits showing 60" and I had 58 1/4" - even considering the 1" total drywall I was still off 3/4". I was afraid to tear the unit out and be stuck with a gap. Maybe there are shims in there now. I am looking at a Kohler k-1572 unit that I think will fit right in. Since it is a guest bathroom I am trying to save some dollars with the kit.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks