Inspectors that do not inspect?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ballvalve, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Just got the dreaded rough mechanical sign off on a small house-rental I am building.

After weeks of work on the plumbing and sprinkler pressure tests, miles of wire and a sub panel, the head of the building dept shows up because his underling is sick that day. Spent an hour discussing new codes and sprinkler system craziness, and he strolled about the house for 2 minutes, ASKED me if my pipes held water, and that was it. There was one weird vent situation I was sure he would ding me on, but never even had a look.

Not the slightest interest in the sub panel, where it was fed from, and what the wires coming in were.

I'm not sure if I should celebrate, or be very worried about the other jobs he inspects where a bunch of knuckle scraping dopes did the fastest and worst of work.

What sort of scrutiny do you guys get from inspectors lately?

Around here, with [4] yes, four new houses built in a county the size of new jersey last year, perhaps the guy fears for his job. This year is a banner year, as [6] new permits have pulled so far!
  2. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

I've had jobs approved while the inspector was still in his car.....handed the passed sticker through the window while throwing it in reverse. I've had jobs aprroved over the phone. I've went to buy a permit and technically the job required a permit......they told me "dont worry about it"......same city I told them I also need a business license and would like to apply for a temporary plumbing license. They all said....."dont worry about it".

Then I go some places where they make azz's of themselves trying to fail a perfectly good job......when they cant find a reason to fail it by the book.....they start making up things thats not even in the code.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Years ago a fellow told me about a pair of high rise buildings he was plumbing. They called for a plumbing inspection. After the inspection the inspector told him it was the "best job he had seen in years". The only problem was that he inspected the wrong building. The one he inspected they had not even started the plumbing in yet.
  4. drick

drick In the Trades

What he said.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

In Chicago you have the hundred dollar handshake.
  6. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

Inspectors are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Poor quality contractors whine about having to correct things and "big gubment" and often seem to avoid getting required permits or business licenses. The worst of the lot (quality wise) complain the loudest to council members, at public hearings and the like. On the other hand, weak inspections screw the owner/occupants and result in poor quality housing stock and lower property values and revenue...as well as make it less likely that new merchants will locate there.

If one does quality work, then one should also want vigorous inspections and permit/licensing enforcement to prevent crappy contractors from having an unfair advantage that is taking money from the community and from legit contractors.
  7. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

In Florida 1 out of every 5 inspectors is a failed contractor thats pissed off your making money. Thats just my opinion. LOL
  8. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

I'm surprised the ratio is that low! Perhaps it is because the other failed contractors went to work in the big box stores...