inspector's class

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I don't know much about plumbing but I am going to start a Level I Inspaectors plumbing class next weekend.
Any advice from you pros?

JWelectric

Reaction score
Not planning on being a plumber but am planning on being an inspector.
I have worked in the electrical field for over 37 years and am presently seeking employment as a code enforcement official.
One of the jurisdictions that I have applied with requires their code officials to cross train in building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical. I start a plumbing inspector’s class a week from tomorrow and could use any and all the advice I could get.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
drain systems

inspectors i have come across didn't understand drain plumbing very well. i think it may be valid to say that this part of plumbing is the most difficult to understand, the hardest to get right, and the most important to get right too. So an inspector who understands this part of plumbing stands head and shoulders above the others. My take on the matter.

david

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
jwelectric said:
Not planning on being a plumber but am planning on being an inspector.
I have worked in the electrical field for over 37 years and am presently seeking employment as a code enforcement official.

I'm just curious, if you have a successful electrical business why would you want to be an inspector.

JWelectric

Reaction score
geniescience said:
inspectors i have come across didn't understand drain plumbing very well. i think it may be valid to say that this part of plumbing is the most difficult to understand, the hardest to get right, and the most important to get right too. So an inspector who understands this part of plumbing stands head and shoulders above the others. My take on the matter.

david
Thank you for the advice. I will try to pay close attention in the class when discussing waste water systems.
I am sure that I will be full of questions next week although some of you will think that most of my questions are silly.

Cass said:
I'm just curious, if you have a successful electrical business why would you want to be an inspector.
This is easy to understand. After 37 years of 14 to 16 hours a day six to seven days a week of worries and labor where any and all benefits come at an expense it is time for a change.
8 to 5 five days a week with some of the best benefits in the state, no worries except passing the other trades and a fairly descent salary it is a no brainier for a 56 year old.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
inspector

We call those inspectors "90 day wonders" because they learn EVERYTHING about several trades in a short time, but the tradesmen spend several years learning just one.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
My "take"

Is that when my cards drop and either I've worked myself to the bone or just refuse to hire employees, I got a government job to fall back on and I get to stay involved in what I love.

I was inquired on by my reputation of being so code influenced in my work.

I actually like coming home from a hard day's work. Many many benefits to being a plumber that have never been mentioned on any website, along with everyday conversations.

Not to knock the college educated but they open thier checkbooks for me, daily. THANK YOU!

signed,

non-college educated entrepreneur

JWelectric

Reaction score
I have learned more in the past eight hours about plumbing than I have known for the past 56 years.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
JW...in my state you have to have a masters license to become an inspector...we have seperate Eletrical, plumbing and building inspectors...I couldn't begin to imagine how confusing your life's about to become...I sincerely hope you get the job and I sincerely hope it pays what your worth if you pass the course.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Just for the record I passed the Community College test today and now all I need to do is pass the state test and I can inspect plumbing.:D :D :D

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

So I can go pass 2 tests and become an inspector?

So right now I bet I could pass the building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical for both the city and state. But I only wish it was this way where I live. I could become an inspector and could quit both of my jobs have time to get engaged and get hitched. Hell with dating for 5 years, a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and I think there is one on the way but she hasn’t told me yet.

You must have a masters with 3 working years or be certified and 10 working years.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj,
Here a guy is just trying to better himself, become more informed, helpful to the community.

And you start poking fun at him.
Now you've got me laughing so hard I have to take a break.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well we all need to laugh.

But why don’t you come inspect some of my work. Let me know when you’re coming and I’ll keep it right on the edge of illegal and I bet you will pass it.

Now for a real question on inspections. Do they have to fill the pipes with water where you’re at?

JWelectric

Reaction score
got_nailed said:
Now for a real question on inspections. Do they have to fill the pipes with water where you’re at?
An air test of five pounds for a period of fifteen minutes using a pressure gauge that has increments of .10 is allowed.
The bad thing about using air on a core pipe is that the air can leak from the interior liner through the foam to the outer liner and the leak will be hard to find.
A water test is always the best test as the water will show the leak. A water test must have 10 foot of head water. North Carolina Plumbing Code sections 312.1.1, 312.2 and 312.3.

I am not intending on trying to fail anyone when doing an inspection. It is my hopes that we can learn together.

Cookie

Reaction score
JW Electric,

Just for the record I want to congratulate you.
Come on guys--send some congrats his way.
:) :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks