ideas for toilet leveling, what do you think

Users who are viewing this thread

mephius

Reaction score
just to run by experienced people,
I have a porcelain tile floor, OFF enough to create rock in new toilet. I will be using plaster method to create base. I thought i might use clear contact paper cut to base shape and stuck down to tiles so as to ease release of plaster in future if a new toilet shape is ever installed.

Then under toilet I thought i can coat with moisturizer to act as a mold release so to speak to aid in the same issue ( release plaster). better than greese or WD 40 on raw un-glazed porcelain. Any thought's on this approach?
It is just an idea and came from many posts of issues with hardened plaster after time.
Thanks all....

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't understand why you are spending time messing with plaster. If the floor is reasonably flat, a toilet might need a couple shims to keep it from rocking before it is set on a new wax ring. Chances of coming out with better results using plaster are not very high.

If the floor is screwed up so bad the shims will not do the job, it's time to fix the underlying problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If a bowl needs to be shimmed, it's a simple matter of sliding a shim in near the back, scoring it, and snapping it off.

shimming.jpg

mephius

Reaction score
after leveling i found the floor falls away in the front of the bowl, enough to create a rock when set. if i shim in the back it wont be level. it's not by much, so not that big of a deal but i do have to eliminate the rock with some method and though old school plaster seems to work well by most that post about it. just thought the consideration of a contact paper base and some moisturizer mold release will make it easier in the future if need to change.
oh and btw they are 12 x 24 inch tiles so I would really rather not rip them out to try and level the floor.

thanks again for your thoughts on this

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer to pin the front of the bowl down to the floor. It may put more water in the bowl, a good thing.
I'm not a big fan of plaster when it come to urine.

mephius

Reaction score
excellent point!!! and certainly a lot easier. Ill pick up some shims. Any preference for hard or soft plastic. Yes I saw the wood in the pic. But money ($2.00) is no object for my baby....ha ha

Thanks again for the quick response , Ill definitely take your advice and be done with this.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A perfectly level toilet is not that critical. Nice, but a tad off won't be noticed nor will it affect the performance. The shims will be covered by the caulking and they will not be noticed either. I am relying on your statement that the toilet is out of level by just a small bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks