I need advice on my well water system and a possible failed pressure tank!

Users who are viewing this thread

FreeBird

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a well that is approximately 143 feet deep and has a 1 HP Franklin submersible pump. Our pump provides us with plenty of water during the rainy winter months of Oregon, but we have about 3-4 months where our well produces very little water because of the lack of rain. We get around this problem by strict water conservation and having the guys’ of our house water the trees (we live in the country).

This pump sends the water up to a well house, which contains a pipe junction that goes in 3 directions:

1. 1200 gallon cistern 30 feet up the hill (our house is on the same level as the pump house).
2. To a Fowler glass lined pressure tank ( I think it’s from the 1970's and is about 5ft tall x 2ft wide with no labels).
3. Too our house.

There is a pressure switch that is adjustable, but the highest pressure I have ever seen after adjusting it to its max setting is about 25psi, even after the pump has been going for 20-30 minutes.
This system has been working fine for 5+ years since we have lived here plus many years for the previous owner.

About a week ago, our water pressure disappeared and we can only take showers when the pump is turned on. I think this would indicate the pressure tank has failed, but I have noticed some water leakage in the pipe junction. This leakage was evident before we lost water pressure to take showers, and so, I don’t think that is the problem.

I need some advice on whether I should replace the pressure tank with one that has a higher water storage capacity (say 50 gallons +), or is there another solution I should be thinking about. I have read a few articles about a “CSV “set up, but I am not sure if that is a viable solution for our situation. I am very handy with tools and am not afraid to try things I have never done before. I would like to hear your recommendations if you have a better well system set up and brands of products you would recommend.

I would appreciate any advice you have.

Thank you!
:)

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I confused. Water should go from the well to the 1200 gallon cistern. There should be another pump in or by the cistern that pumps to the glass lined tank and then to the house. You should not be out of water if there is water in the cistern. Glass lined tanks don't usually go bad unless they have a hole in them. Water and pressure doesn't come from the pressure tank, it comes from the pump. More likely you have a pump problem.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Run ALL the water to the cistern, install a pumptek or other water well pump saver-water level monitor, get a new jet type pump and feed the cistern water to it, and then to the existing pressure tank. You might also solve your dry season issues.

Not a handymans job for the most part.

Last edited:

FreeBird

Reaction score
Thank you for the great information. I will change the way my system is currently set up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks