I have a shower arm flange that has damaged threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

shuggy

Reaction score
I have a cvpc shower arm receptor in the wall that has slightly damaged threads and shower arm leaks at that point and I have tried plumbers tape numerous times, is there any other compound, glue or other means to get it to seal?

Last edited:

shuggy

Reaction score
I have a shower arm flange that has slightly damaged threads and shower arm leaks at that point and I have tried plumbers tape numerous times, is ther any other compound, glue or other means to get it to seal?[/

Last edited:

SHR

Reaction score
The seal on the CPVC drop-ear elbow to the shower arm is made by a rubber washer in the fitting. You need to make sure you have a good washer at the bottom of the threads.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to make sure, there's a brass drop ear elbow X cpvc transition connection, and there's a glue-up drop-ear ell , totally plastic. Not sure I've explained the difference there, but if it's brass you might be able to chase the threads with a 1/2 iron pipe tap. If it's plastic, then you've been totally deflowered by bad technology. Teflon tape is always necessary to align the shower arm with verticality. Get back, Mr Webster.

shuggy

Reaction score
Ye
The seal on the CPVC drop-ear elbow to the shower arm is made by a rubber washer in the fitting. You need to make sure you have a good washer at the bottom of the threads.
Yes, the washer is in there, I bought a new drop ear elbow to get the new washer, the problem is "somebody" screwed the shower arm in wrong with some force and damaged the threads, a little. It's just enough so that it won't seal. I need some kind of sealant???
Thanks for your response.

shuggy

Reaction score
Just to make sure, there's a brass drop ear elbow X cpvc transition connection, and there's a glue-up drop-ear ell , totally plastic. Not sure I've explained the difference there, but if it's brass you might be able to chase the threads with a 1/2 iron pipe tap. If it's plastic, then you've been totally deflowered by bad technology. Teflon tape is always necessary to align the shower arm with verticality. Get back, Mr Webster.
It is a CPVC drop-ear elbow and the threads are a little damaged, is there a pipe compound or sealant that will seal againsg water pressure? Thanks

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Aw, Jeeze. I took one look at these things, maybe back in the 90's and decided to not use them ever under any circumstances. Not a good place for plastic.
Were it me, and I didn't want to go into the wall, I would try to restore the threads, then wrap the shower arm with Teflon tape, screw it in, then when it leaks, go into the wall anyway and replace the shower head el with something real.

shuggy

Reaction score
Aw, Jeeze. I took one look at these things, maybe back in the 90's and decided to not use them ever under any circumstances. Not a good place for plastic.
Were it me, and I didn't want to go into the wall, I would try to restore the threads, then wrap the shower arm with Teflon tape, screw it in, then when it leaks, go into the wall anyway and replace the shower head el with something real.
Ya, it's just one of those things you can't see when buying a house......
What will happen if i put some plumbers putty in there and let it dry real good?

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
Putty doesn't harden... and totally the wrong application.

Are the threads stripped or cross-threaded... does the shower arm tighten up and then loosen up or does it threaded in crooked.

Before opening the wall I'd try doubling up the gasket first. If it still leaks, glue it up with cement on the threads.

shuggy

Reaction score

Are the threads stripped or cross-threaded... does the shower arm tighten up and then loosen up or does it threaded in crooked.

Before opening the wall I'd try doubling up the gasket first. If it still leaks, glue it up with cement on the threads.
Not stripped,but some are a little bent/dented, I have tried double gasket and tape, still no luck . I have relatives due to arrive for the upcoming holiday, opening up the wall is out of the question at this time, I don't really care if I cement it in there forever, i just need to seal it up so it will work at least for some time, what kind of cement will form a water tight/pressure tight seal, can you tell me the name of it? Thanks so much for your help.

shuggy

Reaction score
Nothing. Plumbers putty doesn't work on pressure.
Threads are not completely stripped, but some are a little bent/dented, I have tried double gasket and tape, still no luck .Still leaks.... I have relatives due to arrive for the upcoming holiday, opening up the wall is out of the question at this time, I don't really care if I cement it in there forever, i just need to seal it up so it will work at least for some time, what kind of cement will form a water tight/pressure tight seal, can you tell me the name of it? Thanks so much for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you cracked the fitting, the only fix is to replace it. If the threads are just mucked up because of cross-threading, a tap MIGHT work for you, but you may need a special one since most (except for a bottoming tap) have a taper and with the elbow, it won't be able to go deep enough to restore the threads. Pipe dope and tape only work on a tapered pipe thread as it compresses between the threads, not as it tightens up to a gasket. IOW, it doesn't do much of anything.

Last edited:

shuggy

Reaction score

the shower arm threads right in there just fine, it's just the bent threads in the CPVC drop-ear elbow won't allow it to seal

shuggy

Reaction score
If you cracked the fitting, the only fix is to replace it. If the threads are just mucked up because of cross-threading, a tap MIGHT work for you, but you may need a special one since most (except for a bottoming tap) have a taper and with the elbow, it won't be able to go deep enough to restore the threads.
I can see it enough to see that the leak is at the connection of the shower arm to the CPVC drop-ear elbow, deformed threads won't allow it to seal

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipe dope AND tape may help, but you said there's a gasket in there? If that's the case, if the arm doesn't go in straight so it can compress the seal properly, the only way to fix that is to fix the threads or replace the fitting. There is no reliable method to bond the arm in there and provide a good seal available to a consumer that I'm aware of (doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
cpvc cement, like gluing a regular slip-fit joint.... except you'll thread it in, have a few seconds and one shot.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might try a male thread cutter is you can find one, but buying one would be expensive for a single use. I think the CPVC cement and threading the fitting in QUICKLY suggestion is your best shot. If that fails, then you will have to do some replacing.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go with a 2-part epoxy. I like the 30 minute or so rather than the 5-minute for most things. In this case, even the 5 minute has a lot more working time than the CPVC cement, I would think.

What are you screwing into that CPVC female thread? A chrome-plated brass shower arm? Or do you have a CPVC shower arm? I have not seen one of those.

I am not a pro.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
I would go with a 2-part epoxy. I like the 30 minute or so rather than the 5-minute for most things. In this case, even the 5 minute has a lot more working time than the CPVC cement, I would think.

What are you screwing into that CPVC female thread? A chrome-plated brass shower arm? Or do you have a CPVC shower arm? I have not seen one of those.

I am not a pro.

Right, I was thinking cpvc elbow and shower arm... if the shower arm is brass than scratch the cpvc cement idea.

Then you have to fix the damaged cpvc threads or double gasket or some combo of gasket/Teflon tape/pipe dope.

In my experience not many epoxies work well with plastics or combo of metal and plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks