How to solder this addition?

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I am adding zones to the existing water heating system.

From the picture you can see starting from that pointed thread connection, the new addition is on the right side.

From left to right after the male fitting, there are a 45 degree turn, a tee, a 45 degree turn and a tee again. They are located closely.

My question is what's the sequence to join them together?

I am thinking the following sequence:

1. solder the first short straight section with male fitting offline;
2. put above unit in with thread sealant and tight them;
3. solder the first 45 elbow and others online.

does above sequence sound right?

at step 2, how to prevent the heat being transferred to the new soldered join and the thread? use a damp cloth?

thanks,

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sounds about right.
I like to solder a MA first, wait for it to cool, put thread sealant on it and install. Then start soldering things up. A wet cloth does help on the threads of the MA when you solder the other end.

With soldering, two things to remember.

Start at the farthest joint away from your body and work towards yourself.
You don't want to burn yourself reaching over or under hot dripping pipes.

I like to solder at the loose end first and work my way back. Anytime you touch the solder on, you stand the risk of moving the other joints as they are cooling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks