how to remove compression fitting/nut?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cdog, Sep 4, 2005.

1. cdog

cdog New Member

I'm trying to replace the valve assembly for my toilet supply valve. The valve is connected to 1/2' copper pipe with a compression fitting. I want to remove the valve, and the compression fitting, and the flange at the base of the wall to replace everything.

I've had problems replacing compression fittings in the past, and I'm afraid to remove the valve to find that I can't remove the fitting - then not be able to get the valve to seal again!

How do I get a used compression fitting off a copper pipe?

Thanks,

Cdog
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The easiest way is if the pipe is long enough to just cut it behind the ring.

There is a ferrule puller tool which easily pulls off the ring.

If you are careful, you can slice the ring diagonally, using a hacksaw blade wrapped in duct tape and held in your hand. Orient the blade to cut on the pull stroke.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Or, just leave the compression ring on, and reuse the nut...my unprofessional opinion.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

compression

You can usually slide them off with a pair of channelocks.